FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Renolution suffers first defeat as FC United lose to Telford

Renolution suffers first defeat as FC United lose to Telford

FC United suffered their first defeat under new manager Neil Reynolds as the Reds slipped to a narrow 2-1 defeat at Broadhurst Park on Saturday afternoon to a well organised Telford team.

The Reds welcomed play off contenders Telford United on Saturday hoping to gain their first home league win of the season. Unfortunately, it was the Bucks who took all three points back to Shropshire and in the process moved themselves up to third place in the league.

A goal by Darryl Knights in the first half was cancelled out by Tom Peers effort a short time later. However, Amari Morgan-Smith got the deciding goal on 55 minutes in a pulsating match played by two well drilled attacking sides.

Telford clicked into gear straight from the off with two fine shots on goal, the second bringing out a fine save from Lloyd Allinson. Both sides looked dangerous in attack and moved the ball with pace up to their respective forwards. United’s Kurt Willoughby went close, his shot being tipped round the post for one of numerous corners won by both sides.

Just after 21 minutes a poor ball by Josh Wallen to no-one in particular was pounced upon by the visitors. The ball was moved swiftly into the box where Knights gave Allinson no chance with a crisp, clean shot down to his right.

The home side got right back in the match when just six minutes later Willoughby delivered a looping cross which was spilled by keeper Andy Wycherley leaving Peers a two yard tap in. Game on.

Allinson came out on top of a one-on-one situation with Daniel Udoh as both sides went in search of the next goal. As the half entered one minute added time Udoh skimmed the top of the crossbar with a shot from outside the area.

The second half carried on in the same vein with both teams attacking and counter attacking, in a display much appreciated by the 2,211 crowd. Another looping cross, this time from Telford, was spilled by Allinson. Morgan-Smith gobbling up the easy three yard tap in. The goal stood despite the protestations of Allinson that he was fouled in the process.

Both defences were put under a lot of pressure from the constant forward thrusts, Steve O’Halloran was having a fantastic game at the back, well supported by his colleagues. A foul 25 yards out on Willoughby gave Joel Senior the opportunity to try his luck with free-kick. The woodwork saved the visitors from being pegged back once more after a fine effort from Senior.

United manager Neil Reynolds used his attacking substitutions to good effect with Jack Bannister having a couple of shots saved. Peers also missed a couple of chances where he may feel he could have done better.

As the game became stretched Telford broke up the field with speed and it appeared Allinson had handled outside the area. After much deliberation and consultation the referee decided a yellow card was sufficient when many had feared it would be red.

A tempestuous five minutes of added time, where the ball was actually in play for about a minute after some classic gamesmanship from Telford, brought the game to a close.

The defeat leaves FC still searching for their first home league win of the season. Next week United are away to Hereford in the FA Trophy.

Website man of the match: Steve O’Halloran had his best game in a red shirt. Won countless headers against a big physical forward line and set many a counter attack up with some crisp passing to feet.

Report by Neil Lees

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 17:21 Sat 17 Nov 2018
News ID ~ 8157
Last Updated ~ 12:53 Tue 20 Nov 2018