FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

FC United lose final match of the season to North Ferriby

FC United lost the final match of our third Vanarama National League North season 2-0 against North Ferriby at Broadhurst Park on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors ran out winners 2-0 with a second half brace from Luke Lofts sealing victory for the already relegated Villagers.

How many matches and how many reporters up and down the country were writing that their game had "an end of season feel to it " ? This one certainly fell into that category.

FC United started the first half controlling the ball, keeping lots of possession with a couple of forays form Joel Senior down the right and Sam Tattum down the left but ultimately with no end product. Player-manager Tom Greaves was ploughing a loan furrow up front not seeing much of the ball.

The game carried on in training ground mode with neither keeper being particularly troubled. Tyrell Palmer fashioned himself a couple of half chances and shots from outside the area but to no avail and the half finished nil-nil.

Ferriby started the second half wining a corner after a poor Tattum back pass put supporters player of the season Lloyd Allinson in trouble and minutes later the home defence was again at sixes and sevens to leave the Ferriby number 10 Lofts free in the box to slot home the opener.

Kieran Glynn was then introduced to the action and the Reds immediately started to look more threatening with Glynn linking up well with Senior to win a corner. Sam Baird, playing at leftback, sent in a towering header which looked like the equaliser but was cleared off the line.

FC United played with more thrust and purpose during this period with Glynn being supported by some tireless running from Danny Racchi.

However it was the away side that scored again after Baird lost the ball midway in his own half which again let in Lofts to score his second of the afternoon on 70 minutes. United pressed and probed but a couple of corners, Matty Hughes heading wide from one, was all they had to show for their efforts.

A 2,580 crowd saw the match finish 2-0 to the visitors. As the club heads into the summer break with plenty of work to do on and off the pitch, perhaps one statistic sums up the season: we took four points off champions Salford but the team that finished bottom, North Ferriby, took four points from us.

Website man of the match: the Main Stand kept the atmosphere going from the first whistle and a longtime after. However, if you need a player then Kieran Glynn provided most of FC United’s brighter moments. There also has to be a honourable mention for the man who apparently played for free yesterday, Danny Racchi. Massive respect to him for that.

Report by Neil Lees

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 15:38 Sun 29 Apr 2018
News ID ~ 7879
Last Updated ~ 09:32 Wed 2 May 2018