FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United slip to narrow defeat at Leamington

FC United slip to narrow defeat at Leamington

FC United lost 1-0 at Leamington Spa on Easter Saturday with a soft goal two minutes before half time giving the hosts all three points.

FC United took to the field knowing that a win against fellow strugglers Leamington would take their season’s tally to 47 points, all but ensuring their place in next year’s Vanarama National League North. However, the Reds were unable to capitalise on their recent run of good form and were sunk by a ricochet goal just before half time.

Player-manager Tom Greaves had several players unavailable from the XI that took Bradford apart seven days previously. Jeff King went back to Bolton after his loan period had finished; Craig Lindfield had a knock and did not travel, and Steve Irwin was accompanying his pregnant girlfriend in hospital. There were a couple of unfamiliar names on the bench with Simoes and O’Donnell stepping up from the youth team.

FC United started brightly with Fleetwood Town loanee Gerard Garner in the thick of things. His back post header brought out a great save from goalkeeper Tony Breedon. Garner then had a fine shot from just outside the box, again well saved by the keeper.

Leamington had a couple of decent attempts on goal, notably a free-kick on 24 minutes well saved by Allinson. Kieran Glynn had a marvellous volley blocked on 36 minutes that looked like it was heading for the back of the net.

The goal came on 43 minutes. A decent ball was put into the FC penalty area. Jordan Fagbola didn’t deal with it cleanly and his attempted clearance hit Jamie Hood on the knee and bounced past Lloyd Allinsion to make it 1-0 to the home side.

FC United had a new Mr Mystery in the guise of Matty Hughes in the second half, as he came out after the interval with no number, presumably due to a muddy shirt.

The Reds put The Brakes under sustained pressure during the last 20 minutes with corner after corner. Glynn showed some neat touches, Daniel Racchi and Connor McCarthy worked tirelessly, but there was just no penetration. A half-chance fell to Greaves on 81 minutes and a minute later, McCarthy forced a good save from Breedon.

Sam Tattum looked good coming off the bench on 84 minutes, but it was too late for him to make an impact. Racchi fired one over the bar and then got himself sent off with a second yellow card that looked pretty tame.

Despite having 62% possession, United just couldn’t make it count and as time passed, it was becoming more and more unlikely that we would find a way past the Leamington keeper. And so it proved with the score finishing 1-0.

Website man of the match: Daniel Racchi. He was at the heart of all things FC United throughout the match and the sending off looked a bit soft.

Report by Nick Duckett

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 00:05 Sun 1 Apr 2018
News ID ~ 7831
Last Updated ~ 11:45 Wed 4 Apr 2018