FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

King nets hat-trick as Reds put four past Avenue

Jeff King scored a hat-trick in his last game in his loan spell at FC United as the Reds beat Bradford Park Avenue 4-0 at Broadhurst Park Avenue on Saturday.

Avenue were reduced to nine men with two quick red cards at the end of the first-half but the Reds turned in a professional performance to ensure they took advantage of the extra numbers on the field in the second half.

The first half was a bit slow to get going and neither team really took any control for most of the first period, but all that changed in a period of five minutes which saw two red cards and a superb goal from a free kick.

Avenue were reduced to ten when Matt Hill was sent off for a rash challenge just outside the visitors box just minutes before the break. To make matters worse for the visitors from Yorkshire, King stepped up to take the free kick and his well struck effort into the top corner left Ed Hall with little chance of stopping it.

Just when it looked like a poor way to end the half for Avenue, things went from bad to worse when Oli Johnson went in with two feet on Kieran Glynn and he too was sent off the pitch.

The second red killed the game as a contest but having said that FC still had a job to do second half in making sure they came out and put a more comfortable margin between the two teams.

Tom Greaves had two great chances to make it 2-0 but put his header from just inside the six-yard box wide of goal, before moments later trying an ambitious scissor kick which he failed to make a proper connection with.

The second goal did come in the 57th minute and it was all about that man King again. Having made a great solo run right at the heart of the Bradford defence he was brought down just outside the box. King took the free kick again and this time with a low, deflected, driven effort he doubled the Reds advantage and seemingly put the game beyond any doubt.

There was still two more goals to come and had FC pushed forward more it could have easily been more.

Substitute Gerard Garner was on the pitch just three minutes before he fired home after a scramble in the visitors area.

King completed the scoring; and his hat-trick, just three minutes later after FC were awarded a penalty for a handball in the box. Usual penalty taker Steve Irwin gave King the ball and the opportunity to grab his third, which he did with a Panenka style penalty right down the middle of the goal.

The second half was a stroll for FC who rarely needed to get out of second gear in order to take advantage of the extra men thy had on the field. The win sees FC’s home record since Tom Greaves took over improve to 29 out of a possible 36 points with the only defeat during that time coming against Stockport County last month.

With seven points from their last three game the Reds now go into the Easter weekend full of confidence as we travel to Leamington on Saturday, before welcoming York to Broadhurst Park the following Monday.

Man of the Match: Jeff King – Grabbed himself a hat-trick of goals from set pieces, but looked dangerous and willing to have a go whenever he got the ball.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 20:04 Mon 26 Mar 2018
News ID ~ 7827
Last Updated ~ 17:28 Sat 31 Mar 2018