FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Third consecutive defeat as FC United are edged out at Curzon Ashton

Third consecutive defeat as FC United are edged out at Curzon Ashton

FC United lost their third consecutive game as they went down 1-0 to Curzon Ashton at the Tameside Stadium on Saturday afternoon – the first time the Reds have ever lost to the Nash during 13 encounters.

After back to back losses against Leamington and Blyth Spartans, the Reds needed to come out quickly and that’s exactly how they started the game, taking the initiative and taking the game to their hosts early on. The bright start didn’t produce much in way of clear opportunity and despite positive moves in the final third the Reds failed to create anything more than half opportunities.

As the half wore on, the hosts got their foothold in the game and looked particularly dangerous when dropping long balls in behind the FC back four, with Max Leonard looking like the main threat for the home team. Moments before the break the hosts took the lead as Leonard got through one on one but saw his effort pushed away by Allinson in the FC United goal, but Allinson could only push the ball into the path of Niall Cummins who headed the ball back to Leonard to put into the net and break the deadlock.

After the good start to the match it was a really difficult blow to end the half by conceding so close to the break and rather than fire up the Reds for the second half it seemed to take the wind out of their sails and the second period started slowly.

Obviously in need of a spark on the field Margy made three changes together just after the hour mark introducing Joel Senior, James Hooper and new signing Tim Kinsella. Kinsella almost made a dream start as he managed to round Curzon ‘keeper Cameron Mason but from a tight angle he could only put the ball into the side netting.

Joel Logan was impressive on the right throughout the second half, on one occasion finding Hooper in the area but his effort could only find the side netting once more. But despite the initial impact of the substitutes the tempo died off once again and FC found it difficult to create much once again, never really testing Mason for the remainder of the game. In fact, the home team had a great opportunity to double their lead in stoppage time as Cummins hit the ball right into Allinson’s arms from inside the six-yard box.

It was another disappointing result for the Reds who have failed to build on the momentum of the good results of the Bank Holiday weekend, but they will need to be at their best for the midweek trip to Darlington this week.

Website man of the match: Joel Logan – Kept working hard throughout the game, looking dangerous when he got the ball.

Report by Craig Phillips

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 09:10 Mon 11 Sep 2017
News ID ~ 7586
Last Updated ~ 16:30 Thu 14 Sep 2017