FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo FC United of Manchester Vanarama Logo

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United slip to narrow defeat at Alfreton Town

FC United slip to narrow defeat at Alfreton Town

FC United’s three game winning streak came to an end on Saturday afternoon with the Reds slipping to a 2-1 defeat at Alfreton Town.

Sam Smith scored an early goal for the hosts but George Thomson found the equaliser just after the interval. However, Wes Atkinson struck a well taken winner in the 77th minute.

In a closely fought game of few chances, Alfreton shaded victory. Karl Marginson’s side will be disappointed not to have held on for at least a point but with nine points from our last four matches having all but guaranteed survival already, the Reds have a lot to be pleased about.

FC United found themselves 1-0 down after six minutes. A long ball over the top was flicked on to Smith who was one-on-one with goalkeeper David Carnell. Carnell produced a good smothering save but the rebound fell kindly for Smith and he coolly slotted the ball home from close range to take the lead.

The visitors almost responded instantly with Thomson curling a free-kick over the wall and towards the top corner of the goal but Fabian Spiess saved well.

Midway through the half and Spiess had to be alert again to stop FC United from drawing level. Thomson was again the danger man. A cross field ball was flicked on by Sam Sheridan and Thomson fired a drive from 25 yards out towards the bottom corner where Spiess got down well to collect.

United continued to press as Alfreton seemed content to sit back and defend their one goal advantage. Ten minutes before the break, the Reds had their best chance of the half. Spiess produced an acrobatic save from another Thomson free-kick to ensure it remained 1-0 going into the break.

Within four minutes of the restart, United got the goal that their pressure deserved. Matthew Wolfenden’s cushioned header from a great cross by Scott Kay gave Thomson the chance to slot home the equaliser, which he did with aplomb.

But rather than United being able to kick-on after drawing level, the goal sparked Alfreton back into life. The hosts had a quick flurry of two great chances to retake the lead. Captain Andy Monkhouse hit the bar with a looping header as Alfreton piled forward, hoping to catch the Reds cold. Moments later, a rasping drive from 25 yards out by Smith was saved well by Carnell.

United weathered the storm and the game slipped back into a rather scrappy stalemate for the best part of half an hour. The Reds pressed and won a couple of corners but they rarely troubled Spiess again.

The visitors were defending well though, so it was quite unexpected in the 77th minute when Alfreton carved them open with ease. An attack down the right saw a cross played into Atkinson and he fired a first time effort into the bottom corner from the edge of the box, giving Carnell no chance.

Alfreton then shut up shop to hold onto victory. FC United will be looking to get back to winning ways this Monday at Curzon Ashton.

Website man of the match: George Thomson. FC United’s star man throughout the day was rewarded with the goal and could have had more.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 10:08 Sun 19 Mar 2017
News ID ~ 7368
Last Updated ~ 00:07 Wed 22 Mar 2017