FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Reserves hit Stalybridge for nine

The goals flowed as Stalybridge Celtic came to Broadhurst Park and left on the end of a 9-1 win for the reserves. Two goals each for Connor Martin and Jake Shawcross with strikes by Chris Hill, Dan Cooke, Jack Tinning and Nathan Chorlton, an own goal starting proceedings.

There was just five minutes gone when a Stalybridge defender, trying to shepherd a cross from Cameron Horner back to his keeper saw it crawl past and into the net and just twelve minutes gone when Hill finished a period of sustained pressure with the second goal. A Horner cross had been deflected for a corner and from that a Frank van Gils effort cleared to Adam Lockett who passed to Hill. In the mean time a Dean Hope free kick had almost crept in Daniel Miller in the visitors goal managed to stop his own backward momentum before crossing the line in an overhead catch.

If that start had opened up the possibility of what was to come then the remainder of the half looked more like a standard match where the opening burst catches a side cold but they recover their composure and, if not posing a threat themselves manage to stem the flow of the attack. Martin and Michael Jones had efforts saved and van Gils had a couple of chances drift wide but there was no further score at half time.

It was 3-0 just five minutes into the second half; Cooke up in support of the attack exchanged passes with Martin before firing across the keeper and in at the far post. Martin added the fourth just two minutes later in a move of equal simplicity, finishing from inside the six yard box as Charlie Doyle passed to Hill who crossed to Martin.

Another great move should have made it five just two minutes later, Doyle found Martin who lobbed the ball over the keeper but hit the bar. The rebound fell to Hill who rounded the keeper but then saw his shot deflected for a corner. From that Adam Lockett found space for a header which was saved. Five minutes later a Hope corner was volleyed over by van Gils.

So, on the hour mark, with Stalybridge having barely managed a threat, Giggs decided to use his full quota of substitutions. Often such moves result in games drifting to a close but this was not such an occasion. It took just five minutes to prove it. Jake Shawcross slipped a ball to van Gils, his junking run resulted in a shot that was saved by Miller but only as far as Jack Tinning who drilled the ball into the net.

Toby Wright who had replaced Dan Coooke at left back proved to be an even bigger threat to a tired Stalybridge defence. On 68 minutes he found Shawcross who hit the post and five minutes latercrossed to Sam Summerbee at the far post, he pulled back for a van Gils shot off target.

On 78 minutes Stalybridge got a consolation goal, punishing a rare lapse of concentration but that was met with a volley of indignation as FC United scored three in as many minutes. First Nathan Chorlton found space at the far post to slot home. Then straight from the kick off FC retrieved the ball and Shawcross played a ball beyond the visitors defence and gave Martin a free run in to score. In the next attack a Hope corner was flicked in by Shawcross. A minute later it could have been nine as a double save denied Martin and Shawcross.

That privilege fell to Shawcross five minutes later, heading in a Wright cross. If there was one disappointment on the sidelines it was that the lads didn’t reach double figures although Hope came close just before the full time whistle blew.

It was perhaps harsh for Stalybridge who, having had a slow start to the season will hope that a cruel summer doesn’t become forever autumn but apologies go to those in red who haven’t been name checked because you certainly weren’t in the kitchen at this party.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 12:34 Sun 18 Oct 2015
News ID ~ 6446
Last Updated ~ 12:34 Sun 18 Oct 2015