FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United go down to Stockport County at Broadhurst Park

Two second half goals from Calum Dyson and Kayode Odejayi meant that Stockport County came away with the three points in the first ever competitive fixture at Broadhurst Park in a thrilling game which ended 2-1 to the visitors.

After the two friendly games against Benfica and Wrexham to celebrate the opening of the new ground, it was near neighbours Stockport County who came to town for the first competitive fixture and a reduced crowd of 3,199 were treated to a cracking football match which had a real cup tie feel to it.

The visitors came into the game full of confidence after the weekend’s 2-1 victory over Boston United, and they began the brighter of the two teams controlling the game early on, looking the stronger and more physical of the two teams.

United soon settled into the game though and began to make more of an impact in the Stockport half. After 24 minutes, Rory Fallon sealed his place in the FC United history books after a long range effort seemed to wrong foot Danny Hurst in the County goal and the first competitive goal at Broadhurst Park was scored, giving United a 1-0 lead.

Despite the deadlock being broken, the visiting team were difficult to break down. When United came forward and looked to go around anybody defending they couldn’t get to the ball with some crafty tackles and what we used to refer to as the odd ‘professional foul’ breaking the attacking moves down and allowing the visiting team to reset their defence.

With a goal lead at the break the men in Red knew the first 15 minutes of the second half were going to be vitally important. Karl Marginson’s side really needed to take any chances that came to them as they attacked the noisy FC United faithful in the St Mary’s Road End.

Despite being on the front foot at the start of the second half, United couldn’t find a way through and will have been disappointed when a route one ball from Hurst at the back found Dyson on the left, who jinked inside and curled the ball past Dave Carnell from outside the box to level the scores with a really sublime effort. The goal was that good it was applauded by some in the United support.

Fired on by this and looking to make it a perfect start to their season and ruin the fairy tale which would have been an opening night success for FC United, the visitors pushed forward looking to get a second goal. They eventually found this from a corner which was headed home by Odejayi to make it 2-1 with just 15 minutes remaining.

Rather than be dishearten by conceding two quick goals which turned the game around, United came forward again and looked to get themselves level. Liam Brownhill’s low strike stung the legs of Danny Hurst before being cleared to safety.

Nia Bayunu has impressed in pre-season and did so again with his defensive display, but it could have been better for the big defender as a uncleared corner found him at the edge of the box with Hurst stranded away from his goal. Bayunu looked to place the ball rather than fire towards goal and saw his effort go just agonisingly over with seconds left on the clock.

The defeat means FC United now sit without a point from the first two games, but despite this the positives taken from those two games can only be good for the coming weeks which will form our season. Few can complain that the visitors weren’t worthy winners of what was an entertaining tie.

The Reds now welcome Tamworth on Saturday before travelling to a familiar foe in the shape of Chorley on Tuesday looking to get the first points on the board.

Website Man of the Match: Nia Bayunu – Built on his strong pre-season with another positive performance at the back and was just inches away from stealing a point for the Reds at the end.

Report by Craig Phillips

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 10:58 Wed 12 Aug 2015
News ID ~ 6315
Last Updated ~ 10:58 Wed 12 Aug 2015