FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United sunk by Skelmersdale (+ HIGHLIGHTS)

FC United sunk by Skelmersdale (+ HIGHLIGHTS)

FC United lost 3-1 to Skelmersdale at Gigg Lane on Tuesday night with substitute Matthew Walwyn scoring a late consolation after he had twice hit the woodwork.

There was further bad news for United as Jerome Wright (pictured) had to be taken to hospital with a suspected broken arm as a clinical Skem raced into a 3-0 lead inside 50 minutes.

The goals came against the run of play but they were all despatched with aplomb, leaving Karl Marginson’s side shell-shocked and struggling to compete.

The evening began well for the Reds with them taking the initiative from the off and we almost opened the scoring when Matthew Wolfenden found himself one-on-one with the visiting goalkeeper, former FC United shot-stopper Zach Hibbert.

Somehow, Wolfy manage to put the ball just wide with the majority of the FC United faithful at the other end of the Main Stand thinking it had found the back of the net.

After ten minutes and with their first chance of the game, Skelmersdale took the lead when Alan Burton got his head to a ball from the right, inside the United area, and he fired past Jon Worsnop.

The visitors could have doubled the lead just moments later to but good reactions and a brave dive at the feet of the forward meant Worsnop thwarted the attempt and got the crowd going.

This then gave United a good run in the game where they once again pressed, with some great passing and moving, looking really dangerous. However, United’s shot always seemed to be near misses or straight at Hibbert, an early sign that this might be a frustrating evening for the Reds.

Just before the half hour mark, a wonderful solo run and finish from Matty Hughes doubled the lead. Having had only two clear shots on goal, the visitors found themselves two goals to the good.

United were then dealt a double blow as Chris Worsley was helped off the pitch unable to put any weight on his leg, and then a collision between Wright and Worsnop saw the United wide-man go down injured and he had to be taken off with what is thought to be a broken arm.

United had had lots of possession in the first 45 minutes but just couldn’t convert their chances. Coming out for the second half, there was the sense that if United got an early goal they could get back into this game. In fact, the opposite happened as Skelmersdale scored within in five minutes of the restart to kill off any hope of a comeback.

Where many may have folded, the players and fans alike kept going with constant singing and support from the terraces matched by a strong work ethic, looking for a way back into the match.

United hit the woodwork twice through substitute Walwyn, who looked like the most dangerous man going forward after he replaced the injured Worsley in the first half.

Walwyn and United got their reward in the form of a late consolation goal with a great driven effort with fewer than ten minutes remaining. Sergio Rodriguez went close late on but it case of what could have been on the evening, as the visitors showed a more clinical approach in front of goal to give a score line which suggests the game was more one sided than it was.

United return to league action next Tuesday with an appetising away fixture to Droylsden after the weekend’s FA Trophy trip to Witton Albion.

Website man of the match: Matthew Walwyn – looked the most dangerous payer on the pitch when he came on, hitting the woodwork twice before scoring the late goal. Surely the youngster must be pushing for a starting place with performances like this?

Report by Craig Phillips

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 09:02 Wed 16 Oct 2013
News ID ~ 5136
Last Updated ~ 21:08 Wed 16 Oct 2013