FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United up to sixth with draw at Nantwich Town

FC United moved up to sixth in the Evo-Stik Premier Division on Tuesday night, courtesy of a 1-1 draw at Nantwich Town.

Andy Pearson headed the Reds into the lead on the stroke of half-time but former FC United striker Aaron Burns ensured the points were shared by equalising midway through the second half.

It was a quiet opening to the game but FC United had the first chance when a superb Liam Brownhill cross found Astley Mulholland who saw his shot blocked close to the line.

It was a half that was short on goalmouth action, Tom Greaves firing at Terry Smith, and the dangerous Max Harrop having two shots straight at Jon Worsnop. The deadlock was broken right on half-time when a corner was nodded in by Pearson for his first goal in a red shirt.

The second half was seven minutes old when the lead was almost doubled. A pile driver from Dave Birch smacked The Dabbers’ crossbar. The rebound found Greg Daniels who headed against the bar. As the ball dropped it clearly struck the arm of a defender but to the amazement of the FC players and supporters the referee waved play on.

The chances continued to come for FC, Daniels heading just wide of the upright and just after the hour a long ball played in Mulholland who stayed on his feet despite seeming to be impeded, but he saw his shot pushed wide by Smith.

There was a nagging thought that FC United would be made to pay for missing their chances and so it proved on 65 minutes when a cross from the left was headed in by Burns to level the score at 1-1.

Three minutes later, Daniels came close again, his curling shot just going wide of the far post. There was still time for either side to win the game, former FC United favourite Ben Deegan, now playing for Nantwich, hammered the ball over the bar when he probably should have done better and Matthew Walwyn shot straight at Smith with only four minutes left on the clock.

All-in-all in terms of possession and chances, FC United will probably see this as two points dropped, but the one point away from home in midweek may well prove to be vital as the season wears on.

Report by Steven Wood

Website man of the match - Dean Stott. Despite a slip at the end of the game, Stott was his usual solid self, marshalling the troops at the back, which reduced the home side to the minimum of goal scoring chances.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 22:03 Tue 8 Oct 2013
News ID ~ 5129
Last Updated ~ 19:16 Wed 9 Oct 2013