FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United out of Premier Cup on penalties after six goal thriller

FC United out of Premier Cup on penalties after six goal thriller

FC United were knocked out of the Manchester Premier Cup 5-4 on penalties after an entertaining 3-3 draw at New Mills on Tuesday night.

Astley Mulholland (pictured), debutant Frank Van Gills and Greg Daniels got the goals for the Reds as we fought back from 1-0 and 3-1 down to take the tie to a penalty shoot-out but it wasn’t meant to be as the Millers progressed after spot-kicks with Jonathon Poizer being the unfortunate player to miss – sending his effort over the bar.

There were plenty of positives to take from the game though for a young FC United side who showed spirit to fight back to 3-3 before creating chances to nick a victory towards the end of the match.

The hosts took the lead on 14 minutes when a cross from the right was glanced in by Melford Knight and the Reds were unlucky to see a Mulholland goal chalked off for a close off-side decision before the same player did make it 1-1 in the 38th minute, capitalising on a poor back pass to nip the ball past goalkeeper Peter Collinge.

Unfortunately, the scoreline was only level for a matter of seconds as New Mills attacked straight from the kick-off, the ball being threaded through to Rhys Nevins who coolly finished past Jon Worsnop.

With a minute left in the half, the score was 3-1 as a mix up at the back let in former FC United player, Jamie Rother who finished emphatically. Thankfully, United responded well after the break. The second half was only three minutes old when the Reds pulled a goal back thanks to Van Gills. A great ball played him into the box and he finished well into the far corner.

It took just three more minutes for the score to be levelled when a great move down the left saw Jerome Wright finding Daniels on the edge of the box. He used quick feet to find himself some space and time in the box before finishing into the far corner.

The game then saw Karl Marginson’s side mainly on the attack, Daniels firing just wide and Mulholland heading the ball just over the bar. With five minutes to go, there was almost another debut goal for FC United but Michael Taylor fired at the legs of Collinge.

With the scoreline at 3-3 at the end of 90 minute it was time for the first competitive penalty shootout in the history of FC United. Mulholland scored the first penalty for the Reds, Hector Pinera replying. Daniels made it 2-1 but Tico Gavi Mihedji equalised.

Poizer then became the villain and victim of the piece by firing his spot-kick over the bar, allowing Steve Moore to put The Millers into the lead. Lee Neville equalled it up before Daniel Grimshaw put New Mills back into the ascendency. Richard Smith kept his cool to bring FC back level before Daryl Weston calmly slotted home his penalty to put New Mills into the next round.

Website man of the match: Greg Daniels - produced a busy display which saw him score one goal and be unlucky on a couple of other occasions. Other mentions must be made of Callum Byrne and Frank Van Gills who also had impressive games.

Report by Steven Wood

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 22:23 Tue 24 Sep 2013
News ID ~ 5105
Last Updated ~ 09:35 Thu 26 Sep 2013