FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United draw with Bolton Wanderers XI

FC United draw with Bolton Wanderers XI

A second half Matthew Walwyn equaliser gave FC United a 1-1 draw against a Bolton Wanderers XI as the Reds continued their pre-season preparation at Bower Fold on Wednesday evening.

The Reds turned in a good performance on what was another warm summer’s evening and manager Karl Marginson will be no doubt pleased with the performance from his players as the new season draws ever closer.

United were never overawed by their Championship opponents and in fact were the team in control for large portions of the game with good amounts of possession throughout and some nice and neat intricate passing in the middle of the park providing much of the best work in the opening period.

Ollie Banks was the standout player in the first 45 minutes, controlling the game from the centre of the park and it was Banks who came closest to getting a goal in the first half with a free-kick from 25-yards out forcing a great save from the Wanderers ‘keeper.

However, it was the visitors who took the lead in the first half after a ball from midfield split the United defence in two, and the Bolton forward coolly took the ball around Spencer and placed it into the goal.

Despite good amounts of possession, United never really managed to create a clear cut chance in the first half, with a strong Bolton backline holding firm whenever the Reds got in the final third, reducing the chances to just efforts from range and speculative balls from either flank.

At half-time United made a few changes most notably in attack with Walwyn and Rhodri Giggs coming on and both had particularly pleasing performances in the second half.

Both players were involved in the equaliser. A Giggs shot from a corner hit a defender on the way through and somehow the ball found its way to Walwyn in the box after a couple of attempted clearances and he poked the ball home to level things up.

Despite finding a way back in the game, United were still frustrated for the remainder of the contest. The game followed the same pattern as the first half with a strong defensive performance from the Wanderers limiting United to half chances, the best of which was a header from a corner on the right for Charlie Raglan, which had he got full contact on may have troubled the Bolton goal.

Goalkeeper Jon Worsnop had replaced James Spencer at half-time and pulled off a great save late on when it looked like Bolton had put themselves in front. Worsnop managed to get up to his top right hand corner and push the ball away.

In summary; a good performance from FC United and another good run out, where the players acquitted themselves well against testing opposition. A weekend trip to Kendal is next on the agenda as the Reds look to build some momentum for the start of the league, which is only four games away now.

Report by Craig Phillips

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 10:07 Thu 25 Jul 2013
News ID ~ 4989
Last Updated ~ 10:15 Thu 25 Jul 2013