FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Youth Strike Late to take the points at Prescot.

Dave Brown’s FC United youth team brought their season to an end with a game against Prescot Cables on an extremely wet Sunday afternoon. A 3-2 win gave them second place in the league and a satisfying response to the smash and grab raid by Prescot at the Lancaster Club.

A bright start saw FC leap into a 2-0 lead inside ten minutes. First Kane Hughes pounced when Yousif Yousif mishit his own effort on goal on six minutes and a minute later Mike Taylor received the ball some forty yards from goal and with a few steps to ensure control lashed a shot goalwards, comprehensively beating Connor Backhouse in the home goal. It could have been three on ten minutes when Jonathan Poizer fired just wide after he and Yousif exchanged passes.

The home team started to recover from their lethargic start and after 15 minutes came close when Joe Hornby was only narrowly wide. They did later have the ball in the net but that effort was ruled out for an offside call. That though was the limit of their first half threat and FC United were unlucky not to add to the score. A Taylor free kick from the edge of the box was turned out by Backhouse for a corner after 20 minutes, on 34 minutes a Taylor run from the left wing saw Poizer shoot toward goal, his effort being deflected for a corner and three minutes later a rasping Hughes drive hit the post with Yousif unable to get the rebound on target. The half drew to a close with FC picking up three bookings as the frustration of seeing niggling Prescot challenges go unpunished got the better of them and the visitors in a seemingly comfortable 2-0 lead.

The home side doubtless received some strong words of encouragement in the break as Jay Roberts quickly pulled a goal back in the 46th minute and after three FC United substitutions were able to break beyond the defence and equalise in the 70th minute. The game could then have gone either way as both sides sought a decisive goal. Prescot initially looked the more likely although FC were finishing stronger as the game drew to a close. So much so that Paul Foy was cautioned for a late challenge on FC substitute Yasser Belattar as he broke down the right wing.

A draw looked the likely result as the game went into injury time but Taylor had other ideas. As an FC attack looked to be floundering he drove across the Prescot keeper and in at the far post. The home side appealed desperately for an offside decision that never came. Indeed Backhouse was cautioned for being a little too vociferous in his protestations to the assistant referee. The game finished shortly afterwards and FC took the points that allowed them to leapfrog their hosts into a second place league finish.

Prescot Cables: Connor Backhouse, Scott Thomas, Thomas Alymer, Ryan Smith, Adam Lee, Jay Roberts, Lewis Jones, Liam Shaw, Paul Kay, Joe Hornby, Callum O’Connor. Substitutes: Stephen Milne, Steven Francis, James Barnes, John Sharpe.

FC United of Manchester:
1. Ryan Barker
2. Matt Musialowski
3. Lewis Adams
4. George Shaw
5. Jack Burgess
6. Kial Callacher
7. Kane Hughes (Goal 6 mins)
8. Josh Smethurst
9. Yousif Yousif
10. Mike Taylor (Goals 7 & 90 mins)
11. Jonathan Poizer

GK. Josh Broadbent
12. Liam Ellis (for 7, 49 mins)
14. Derek Ubah (for 4, 56 mins)
15. Yasser Belattar (for 5, 65 min

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 17:21 Sun 12 May 2013
News ID ~ 4908
Last Updated ~ 20:03 Sun 12 May 2013