FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Daniels hat-trick sends rampant Reds back up to third

FC United moved back up to third on Tuesday night with our biggest ever victory in the Evo-Stik Premier Division – a 6-0 win over Kendal Town, courtesy of a Greg Daniels hat-trick and goals from Matthew Wolfenden, Rhodri Giggs and Tom Greaves.

After beating relegation threatened ‘The Field’ 5-1 fewer than two weeks ago at the Lakeland Radio Stadium, the Red Army were hoping a similar result could be achieved at Gigg Lane. They were not to be disappointed as United stormed to our biggest competitive victory since beating Bridlington Town by the same scoreline in August 2007.

Wolfenden broke the deadlock after just four minutes and Daniels doubled the deficit just five minutes later with his first of the game. Giggs sealed victory in the 25 minute before two more from Daniels in the second half, either side of a late strike by Greaves, completed the 6-0 rout.

Given the scoreline, it was somewhat ironic that Kendal had the first opportunity of the game when a loose clearance from the FC defence found Maison McGeechan but he fired over Jon Worsnop’s goal.

On four minutes FC took the lead when a throw from the left was flicked on by Adam Jones to Wolfenden who headed past Craig Dootson. Just five minutes later the lead was doubled when a pass was played into Daniels who chested the ball down and rolled it past Dootson.

With 21 minutes on the clock, the away side almost pulled a goal back when Rob Wilson saw his free-kick tipped over by Worsnop but it was almost all one way traffic and it was no surprise when the lead was increased when Dean Stott crossed the for Giggs to finish first time.

Shortly before half time, Kendal were denied a penalty when Jack Cook seemed to be tripped in the FC box, the official waving away the protests.

To their credit Kendal never gave in and started the second half the brighter of the two teams and created the better chances. A shot narrowly went into the side netting in the first minute of the half and Wilson saw another chance saved by Worsnop.

Just after the hour, Worsnop saved well again when Danny Mitchley was played in but on 73 minutes the game was all but ended when a ball over the defence played in Daniels who lobbed the keeper with a mint finish to make the score 4-0.

The score was increased a few minutes later when Jerome Wright fed Oliver Banks on the right wing; his crossed was flicked in by substitute Greaves who may have had some help from a defender with his finish.

With five minutes left on the clock, Daniels completed his hat-trick after a good move down the left found him in the box. He took his time to finish but made no mistake into the bottom corner. He could have scored a fourth right on the final whistle when he dribbled into the box but saw his shot saved.
All in all, it was an important win for FC who needed to return to the good life after the poor defeat the previous Saturday.

Report by Steven Wood

Man of the Match: Jake Cottrell - An all action midfield performance just pipped hat-trick hero Daniels to the award.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 05:26 Wed 10 Apr 2013
News ID ~ 4840
Last Updated ~ 00:35 Thu 11 Apr 2013