FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC's women hit 11 without reply in win over Manchester Rovers

In their final league away game of the season, FC United’s Women overwhelmed a battling Manchester Rovers side 11-0 as captain for the day Fran Davies began the onslaught with her first ever FC goal before established striker Hayley O’Hara bagged a brace to make it 3-0 at half time. The second half saw goals spread around the team as Kayleigh Catterall, Beth Hayes and Shellby Wolstencroft notched two each, supplemented by single strikes from Amy Vyas and a first FC goal for former Moston Junior Sophie Cummings.

Unusually the weather conditions were near perfect; the ground hard, compact and dusty and to complete the backdrop, the 36 supporters were treated to a 90-minute aerobatic display by model planes that buzzed, swooped and gyrated through the spring haze above the vast expanse of Hough End fields.

Regular captain, goalkeeper and vocal motivator Amy Gillingham was unfortunately injured in a midweek training encounter with Stockport County ruling her out of today’s match requiring striker Shellby Wolstencroft to keep goal in the first half followed by Midfielder Hannah White taking the No 1 jersey for the second 45 minutes. Confused? See the extensive use of the roll on roll off substitute facility, detailed below, that ensured every member of the squad present had a decent spell of play as the management team look to keep everyone sharp and involved right to the end of the season.

Within two minutes, FC broke down the left as Catterall fed Kirsty Chambers who centred for Amy Vyas to head on to herself over the static Rovers defence, take the ball round the keeper and fire goal wards from an acute angle to see her effort cleared off the line for a corner which was well defended. The respite was brief as Chambers once more attacked down the left, centred superbly for Vyas whose leap was only inches from a certain goal scoring connection. Forays down the right by Amy Battel and Beth Tattersall almost reaped rewards and on 11 minutes the deadlock was finally broken as Battel caused chaos in the opposition penalty area with the loose ball falling into the path of captain Davies who side-footed into an empty net for her first ever FC goal. The excitement was clearly all too much for Fran as she left the field following the restart for Hayley O’Hara to enter the fray. Within three minutes the No12 had doubled the red’s advantage with a glancing near post header following an excellent Battel cross from the right and just five minutes later added a third as she again connected with a header near post, this time from a Chambers’ corner from the right.

Arguably the move of the game, on the half hour, followed some good pressure high up the pitch from Rovers that FC worked in triangles from Wolstencroft in goal through defence and progressively up the pitch via Davies, Vyas, Battel, Tattersall and Chambers before Hayes fired goalward from 25 yards for Ruderman to field well in the Rover’s goal. United dominated possession for the remainder of the half without adding to the score but creating plenty of chances.

The second half began as the first ended, with FC in dominant possession of the ball but Rovers were determined to press the play themselves and referee Ross Evans awarded the first free kick of the game to the home side on 51 minutes which Amanda Hull fired ambitiously wide from 35 yards. Minutes later and Evans awarded a similar free kick this time to FC after a foul on Maya Germain just 25 yards out and left of Rovers’ goal. The home side held a high defensive line but Vyas bypassed all concerned with a blistering strike that found the top corner of Ruderman’s goal to make the scoreline 4-0 on 55 minutes.

Just past the hour and United ruthlessly doubled their tally scoring four in eight minutes as stand-in keeper Wolstencroft reverted to her usual striking role bursting through the defence to score from 15 yards on 63 minutes, and Tattersall, just a minute later charged down the right unselfishly squaring the ball to Cummings who scrambled the ball home following a handling error by the keeper to notch her first FC goal. Just two minutes later and a high, floated cross from the left boot of Chambers evaded the despairing, outstretched arms of Ruderman to land at the feet of Hayes sliding in at the far post for 7-0. Claire O’Reilly covered the industrious Adora Yau on the half way line, springing defence into attack crossing to find Cummings in space in the area who laid the ball back to Catterall on the edge of the box to unleash an unerring first-time strike into the bottom corner of the goal.

Hayes finished with aplomb on 74 minutes as a Catterall through ball was horribly sliced by the defence; the loose ball spinning goalwards off the hard surface allowing her to fire over Ruderman on the half volley from 12 yards. A double digit scoreline was assured from FC’s 11th corner of the game floated into the box by Chambers; Wolstencroft’s shot from 10 yards was blocked and rebounded out for Catterall to fire superbly from 20 yards through the crowded area and into the net with the goal of the game. The scoring was wrapped up on 84 minutes as Chamber’s swept in another dangerous corner that Wolstencroft headed home from close range. A satisfying workout and performance ahead of the team’s final league game v Oldham Athletic on 21st April at Broadhurst.

Report by Rob Fullen

Website player of the match: In a game with more substitutions than goals, good performances were well shared throughout the squad, but for her boundless energy, driving determination and consistent threat down the right, this week’s player of the game goes to Amy Battel .

Match Stats Courtesy of Paul ‘Stato’ Hinson:
Goals: FC 11 MR 0
Shots on Target: FC 21 MR 0
Shots off Target: FC 16 MR 2
Corners: FC 13 MR 1
Fouls conceded: FC 2 MR 1
Pass completion Rate: FC 69% MR 40%
Possession: FC 80% MR 20%

Teams 7th April 2013: Attendance: 36

FC United of Manchester: 11 (3)
13. Shellby Wolstencroft (Goalkeeper 1st half; No14 and striker in second half; goals 63 & 84mins)
2. Amy Battel (right back)
18. Claire O’Reilly (centre half)
4. Francesca Davies (centre half, Captain and goal 11mins)
6. Jade Challender (left back)
17. Beth Hayes (centre midfield and goals 66 & 74mins)
19. Olivia Greenhalgh (centre midfield)
10. Beth Tattersall (right midfield)
11. Kirsty Chambers (left midfield)
7. Kayleigh Catterall (centre forward and goals 71 & 78mins)
9. Amy Vyas (centre forward and goal 55mins)
12. Hayley O’Hara (for No4 12mins and goals 14 & 19mins)
3. Adora Yau (for No6 26mins)
16. Sophie Cummings (for No13 46mins and goal 64mins)
8. Maya Germain (for No11 31mins)
14. Hannah White (for No10 35mins)(became No1 in goal on 46mins)
Roll off / Roll On substitutions:
On No 4 for No 18 21mins
On No 10 for No 17 46mins
On No 11 for No 12 46mins
On No 18 for No 7 46mins
On No 14 (Shellby Wolstencroft) for No 19 61mins
On No 17 for No 9 63mins
On No 2 for No 6 64mins
On No 7 for No 4 69mins
On No 12 for No 16 72mins
On No 19 for No 7 80mins
On No 4 for No 18 83mins

Manchester Rovers Ladies FC: 0 (0)
1. Sam Ruderman (Goalkeeper)
2. Sonya Devons (right back)
3. Christina Constantinou (left back)
6. Alison McGonagle (centre half)
7. Rachel Grindrod (centre half)
6. Rachel Parkinson (centre midfield)
14. Amanda Hull (centre midfield)
15. Dani Moran (right midfield)
8. Ruth Preston (left midfield)
12. Kath Rodgers (centre forward)
10. Rachael Myers (centre forward)
9. Kelly Shennon (for No12 50mins)
Roll on Roll off Substitution:
On No 12 for No 2 89mins

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 07:30 Mon 8 Apr 2013
News ID ~ 4834
Last Updated ~ 10:51 Tue 9 Apr 2013