FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Five goal FC United win at Kendal

FC United of Manchester kept up our play-off hopes on track with a comfortable 5-1 win at Kendal Town on Easter Saturday with two goals from Jerome Wright, Michael Norton, Tom Greaves and a penalty from Dean Stott.

The result maintains the Reds’ fifth place in the Evo-Stik Premier Division - the final play-off spot.

Norton gave the visitors an eighth minute lead that Wright added to with a well taken brace in the 16th and 19th minutes. Danny Mitchley pulled one back for the home side four minutes later from the spot after handball by Adam Jones.

However, the game was only ever going to go one way. Stott’s penalty restored the three goal advantage 10 minutes after the break when Norton was felled and Tom Greaves completed the win midway through the second half.

What has previously been a tough fixture for United got off to a great start when United captain Kyle Jacobs lofted a cross from the right wing to the back post that Norton nodded in with aplomb for 1-0.

Fewer than 10 minutes later, Matthew Wolfenden hammered a volley into the ground and Wright reacted quicker than a pop up pirate to head the ball beyond the helpless goalkeeper for 2-0.

Within two minutes, it was 3-0. Wright made it look easy as he took the ball around the Kendal keeper and slotted it over the line.

Despite the dominance, United didn’t have it all their own way. Adam Jones conceded a penalty for handball and Mitchley made no mistake from the spot midway through the first-half.

Kendal had a glimmer of hope but there was to be no second half rescue operation in the Lake District. Within moments of the restart after the interval, Norton powered into the box where he was taken out by the unfortunate home keeper. The referee had no option but to award a penalty and decided the offence also warranted a red card. Stott stepped up to make it 4-1.

United were coasting and whilst the travelling Red Army were regaling heroes of yesteryear, such as Rory Patterson, Adie Orr and Barrie George, in the stands, the class of 2013 were attempting to cement their names in FC United folklore by achieving the so far elusive promotion into the Conference North.

A fine performance was capped off with just over 20 minutes to go when Lee Neville launched a long, diagonal ball from the left back back position, which Greaves flicked around the advancing stand-in keeper for 5-1.

Website man of the match: Michael Norton - led the line well, got United off to the perfect start and won the result sealing penalty due to his hard work and tenacity.

Report by Matthew Haley

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 12:52 Sun 31 Mar 2013
News ID ~ 4822
Last Updated ~ 15:37 Tue 2 Apr 2013