FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

The Ego Has Landed - Youth Lose at Morecambe.

The lads travelled up to Morecambe for a Semi Final tie in the NWYA Premier Division Cup and played as though they had just been made to walk all the way. The home side gave them an object lesson in how to play in difficult conditions and work as a team. As such they were fully deserving of the 4-1 win they earned and could easily have scored more.

Morecambe, playing with a strong wind in the first half, started the game much more effectively than a lacklustre FC side and took the lead in the second minute; a free kick was cleared to the edge of the box but fired back with the help of a deflection by Declan Watson.

This shock seemed to spark some life into the reds and in the 9th minute Lee Ellis released Mike Taylor to run in on goal, one on one with the keeper. With the whole goal to aim at as he ran into the area he decided to go for the spectacular with an attempted lob over the Sean Johnson in the home net.

Less than five minutes later Jon Poizer had possibly the best chance of the game striking a free kick from 25 yards out, drawing a spectacular save; turning the ball over for a corner. Unfortunately this was probably as good as it got, as although there were more chances, Johnson was never really tested.

The game was taken beyond FC with two goals in three minutes with Simon Wearing and Nathan Inabere. The latter had the ball in the net again five minutes later as a corner wasn’t cleared but he was ruled to be offside.

Yousif Yousif did score soon afterwards with a shot from the edge of the box but that in truth was down to Johnson failing to make an easy save.

Morecambe controlled the second half, with a classic demonstration of playing against the wind, ensuring the ball was kept as close to the pitch as possible and could have added to the score in the first minute. Ryan Barker at least managed to get a firm enough touch on a fumble to see it drift out for a corner. The most significant action in the second half for FC was a caution for substitute Blaine Biggs less than 30 seconds after coming on to the pitch.

Man of the match was Morecambe number 10 Simon Wearing who was influential everywhere. He was run close by Inabere who concluded the scoring as the game went into added time as Kane Hughes lost possession on the edge of the Morecambe penalty area, the home side’s break met little resistance as the number 9 rounded Barker for an unopposed finish.

1. Sean Johnson
2. Jamie Colborne
3. Tyler Hudson
4. Ibrahim Ba-Ba Conteh
5. Tyler Bowman
6. Robbie Walker
7. Chris Suthers
8. Junior Akande
9. Nathan Inabere
10. Simon Wearing
11. Declan Watson.
14. Alex Newby
15. Daniel Green
17. Michael Dowling
18. Matthew Cape

FC United of Manchester:
1. Ryan Barker
2. Matt Musialowski
3. Lewis Adams
4. Lewis Lacy
5. Charlie Doyle
6. Kial Callacher
7. Josh Smethurst
8. Liam Ellis
9. Yousif Yousif
10. Mike Taylor
11. Jon Poizer
12. Blaine Biggs (for 4, 41 mins)
14. Kane Hughes (For 8, 62 mins)

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 17:52 Sun 10 Mar 2013
News ID ~ 4783
Last Updated ~ 19:37 Mon 11 Mar 2013