FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Reds bow out of cup in seven goal thriller at Witton

Reds bow out of cup in seven goal thriller at Witton

FC United were knocked out of the Doodson Sport Cup when they lost 4-3 at Witton Albion on Tuesday night in an entertaining fourth round tie.

Dean Stott was on target twice for the Reds, with his first strike giving United an early lead. But the hosts hit back to lead 2-1 at half-time and they had a two goal cushion fewer than 10 minutes after the restart.

Captain Rhodri Giggs reduced the deficit to 3-2 on 71 minutes but Albion struck again seven minutes later. Stott gave United some hope right at the death minutes after substitute Jerome Wright had struck the bar, but the Reds were edged out 4-3.

Despite the disappointment of defeat, FC United’s first for nine games, manager Karl Marginson will look to take some positives from the evening. The match gave the Reds the opportunity to give useful runs-outs to a number of players, including debutants Travis Gray and Matthew Walwyn.

Walwyn started the game brightly firing in a couple of shots inside the first eight minutes, two rolling wide and one straight at goalkeeper Stuart Plant.

Just before the quarter hour, the Reds took the lead when a free-kick into the box was flicked on by Cedric Krou towards the far post where Stott was lurking to slide the ball into the net.

This goal sparked Albion into life. Michael Powell, also making his debut in the game, headed a cross over the bar and Shaun Tuck ended a run by shooting wide. On 30 minutes, the home side were level when Tuck was played in on goal and he confidently slotted past Jon Worsnop.

Six minutes later, Albion took the lead. A shot was blocked on the line by Stott, with the crowd behind the goal appealing for handball. The corner was cleared but the ball was returned into the box where Powell rose and headed empathically into the top corner of the goal.

Nine minutes into the second half the lead was extended when a cross from the right was met by Tuck who scored with a flying volley. Witton were seeing most of the ball but FC still had chances, Nicky Platt shooting just over and Greg Daniels turning a cross just wide. At the other end, Albion saw a shot cleared from the FC line.

Wright was unlucky with a long range shot that crashed against the woodwork and with just fewer than 20 minutes to go; the arrears were reduced when a mix up in the Witton defence saw the ball fall to Giggs, who rolled the ball into an empty net.

However, it was shorted lived because moments later the two goal lead was restored when a good Witton move saw Tuck feed Daniel Andrews in the box and he made no mistake; sidefooting the ball into the net.

Deep into injury time, Stott scored his second of the night but it was too little, too late for FC United to push for extra-time and so the Doodson Cup adventure was over for another season.

Report by Steven Wood

Man of the Match: Lewis Lacy - A great performance from the FC United youth player, looked calm and assured throughout the game during his second appearance for the first team.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 22:25 Tue 19 Feb 2013
News ID ~ 4740
Last Updated ~ 11:30 Wed 20 Feb 2013