FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

United through to Doodson Sports Cup quarter-finals - full

FC United secured a place in the Doodson Sports Cup quarter-finals with a 3-2 win at Chorley on Tuesday night thanks to a goal from Michael Norton, an own goal, and a penalty by Dean Stott.

It was an entertaining cup-tie with United taking a 2-0 first-half lead through Norton and an own goal by Wayne Maden. Andrew Russell pegged one back for the hosts on the hour before Stott looked to have sealed a two goal victory from the spot with just over 10 minutes to go. However, Maden managed to score at the right end four minutes later to set up a tense finale.

Chorley started the game brightly, seeing much of the ball but not making headway behind the FC United back four. In fact the first piece of incisive attacking play was from the away team with Jake Cottrell finding Carlos Roca on the right who produced a tantalising cross which was missed by Chorley defender Andrew Russell, the ball finding Norton loitering at the back post. The Reds striker bundled the ball home and the goal stood despite the protests from the home players that the ball had been put in by Norton’s hand.

Despite that setback, The Magpies continued to attack, with Adam Roscoe firing over and Ahmadi Proya shooting straight at James Spencer. FC United were looking for quick counter attacks with Roca the focus for most of the play.

On the half hour, the lead was doubled with yet another tasty cross from the right. The ball worked out wide to Matthew Tierney who whipped in a superb cross that Maden diverted into his own net under pressure from Norton.

Chorley started the second half on the front foot and should have got a goal when Jordan Bowen ran at the FC defence and pulled the ball back for Proya but he blasted high over the bar. On 55 minutes, substitute Chris Denham put in a dangerous cross that Adam Jones headed away from under the crossbar, the ball worked back into the box and Maden fired over when he should have done better.

A minute later, Denham fluffed his lines, scuffing a shot wide when fed in by Proya and just before the hour, Spencer was called into action when he superbly tipped a Maden header wide. From the corner, Russell headed goalwards, only to see Spencer pull off another great save, tipping the ball over.

Two minutes later, Chorley did pull a goal back when the ball was crossed into the FC United box to an unmarked Russell. This time the big man made no mistake as he looped his header over Spencer and into the corner of the net.

Spencer pulled off his best save of the night on 70 minutes with a point blank block from former Blackburn Rovers and Crystal Palace striker Matt Jansen. The Reds continued to play on the counter attack and had a great chance a few minutes later, when Dean Porter in the home goal headed out a clearance to Daniel Grimshaw who saw his goalbound shot blocked.

The game looked safe on 77 minutes when Astley Mulholland was played in and then brought down by Porter. Dean Stott took his turn to be the penalty taker and he scored, sending Porter the wrong way.

There was still time for the home side to pull another goal back on 83 minutes, when a scramble in the box saw Maden sidefoot the ball home. But despite the ensuing heavy pressure for the final minutes, the FC United defence stood firm to record the victory and to put themselves in the hat for the quarter-finals of the competition.

Website man of the match: James Spencer. Pulled off three superb saves at a vital period of the game where Chorley were at their most threatening.

Report by Steven Wood

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 11:47 Wed 11 Jan 2012
News ID ~ 3985
Last Updated ~ 11:47 Wed 11 Jan 2012