FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Youth hit Millers for five

Sunday afternoon at St Bride’s was promising to be a titanic clash of this season’s NWYA big hitters, early results suggested that a team that beat both FC United and New Mills in the final standings and weren’t league champions would be very unfortunate.

By full-time one team had staked a claim to that title that will take some loosening. The home team finished 5-0 winners and although New Mills had a couple of efforts which tested Andrew Farrimond in goal, the score could easily have been higher.

As with last week’s game the reds were quick out of the blocks, scoring in the second minute. As the ball bounced around the New Mills penalty area, Sam Howell and Matthew Boland had shots blocked before the ball was turned out towards the right wing. Alex Stones returned it and Sam pounced at the neat post.

In a manner befitting the billing of the game, the Millers could have levelled with the next attack. A cross found Callum Mooney free at the far post, Andrew was able to block his effort and a shot on the rebound was well wide.

The home side heeded that warning and went on to dominate the first half with Theo Kidd going close but somehow failing to join the score sheet. New Mills did however come close twice midway through the half as first a free kick drifted over the bar and Thomas Webb saw an effort turned on to the bar and out for a corner by the FC custodian.

Two goals came in quick succession as the half wore on. It was 2-0 when Connor Naughton answered queries from the bench as to why he was taking a corner. His cross had assistance only from the far post as it went straight in, although his celebration suggests it wasn’t entirely intentional. A third goal came five minutes later when Matthew Hassall’s pass allowed Sam to race clear of the visitors back line and slot home. Matthew himself was unlucky just on half time when he had a shot saved by Malpas in the Millers goal.

The second half was much the same story as the midfield and defence quietly snuffed out the visitors efforts to get back into the game whilst looking to build on their own lead. A fourth goal came in the 56th minute as the two Matthews combined; Hassall threading a ball through the defence for Boland to run on and score. Other chances came and went including a Connor Naughton free kick which Malpas turned out for a corner with the help of the post. If it is possible to be so, it was a surprise that there was only one more goal, that came in the 82nd minute with Matthew Hassall again the provider. This time it was substitute Luke Walker who took advantage, chipping over the advancing keeper and into the net.

With the game long since over as a contest New Mills did have their best period of the game, bringing a couple of saves from Andrew Farrimond to make sure there was no consolation goal.

FC United of Manchester: Andrew Farrimond, Alex Stones, Obrian Richards, James Brooks, Kyle Cunningham (Kial Callacher 72 mins),Connor Naughton, Joe Power, Matthew Boland (Luke Walker 66 mins), Theo Kidd, Sam Howell, Matthew Hassall. Subs not used: Thomas Minnock, Asima Matabaro, Max Thomas.

Goals: Sam Howell (2 & 41), Connor Naughton (35), Matthew Boland (56), Luke Walker (82).

Caution: Theo Kidd.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 13:20 Tue 20 Sep 2011
News ID ~ 3777
Last Updated ~ 13:20 Tue 20 Sep 2011