FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Early double for youth stuns Curzon

FC Youth travelled up to the Tameside Stadium and returned with a 2-0 win having stunned hosts Curzon Ashton with goals from Sam Howell in the first five minutes. The first arrived with barely 30 seconds on the clock as a clearance from goalkeeper Andrew Farrimond beat the home back four. Sam ran on to the ball and slotted past Matthew Green. The second came in the next attack as FC won a corner on the left. Matthew Hassel’s delivery was scuffed towards the near post yet somehow made it across the face of goal for Sam to fire home.

It was perhaps at this point that the home side realised the game had started and perhaps credit should be given to them for the fact that there were no more goals, though that also owed much to some wayward finishing from the reds. Curzon hit the post from a free kick in the 11th minute but despite much effort did not bring a save out of Farrimond until the 70th minute.

Sam had several chances to complete his hat-trick, the first on twenty minutes when Connor Naughton swept the ball wide to Maximilian Thomas, who nudged back inside to Sam his effort flashed across goal and wide of the target. On half an hour Andrew took a free kick for an off side call in his own area, this was headed on by Theo Kidd and set Sam clear. He tried to chip the advancing keeper but couldn’t get enough height and the keeper blocked it in the edge of his area.

He turned provider in the next attack; with a corner from the right that James Brooks headed marginally too high for a goal kick. His final chance came two minutes later when Jermaine Dre Metz overlapped Brian Totton and crossed for Sam who headed over.

FC United should have extended their lead just before half time when Theo Kidd broke clear of the home defence and was brought down by Green in the area. The resulting penalty was very tamely struck and easily saved.

The second half was dominated by FC United as they tried without success to add to the score. Perhaps the best chance came when Brian Totton ran from midfield with the ball and passed to Matthew Hassall; whose chip shot was saved. Theo Kidd hit a free kick over the wall and easily saved, others had shots that were close but were all off target. Curzon Ashton hustled and harried, best chance was that 70th minute effort when a free kick from just outside the box was fired past the wall but straight at Farrimond.

A game that started with a bang ended tamely as, despite the effort put in, there were no more clear chances for either side. Next up for the reds is a return fixture against fellow title challengers New Mills at St Bride’s next Sunday, kicking off at 2:30pm.

FC United of Manchester: Andrew Farrimond, Maximillian Thomas, Jermaine Dre Metz, James Brooks, Kyle Cunningham, Connor Naughton, Joseph Power (Asima Matabaro 65 Mins), Sam Howell, Theo Kidd, Brian Totton (Luke Walker 73 minutes), Matt Hassall. Subs not used: Kial Callachan, Callum Rattigan, Alex Stones.

Cautioned: Connor Naughton.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 08:52 Mon 12 Sep 2011
News ID ~ 3761
Last Updated ~ 08:52 Mon 12 Sep 2011