FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United spring back to winning ways with Buxton romp

FC United sparkled to a fizzing 4-0 victory at Buxton on Saturday afternoon with goals from Adam Jones, Michael Norton, Daniel Grimshaw and Steve Torpey.

The Reds took the lead inside the first quarter of an hour through Jones before three goals in the final 25 minutes sealed a mouthwatering performance which puts United back on track in style after two recent defeats.

The game started scrappily with neither side exerting their authority, but it FC United who created the first chance when Richard Battersby played in Norton who fired just past the post. 

On 13 minutes, the Reds had a penalty claim turned down when Matthew Wolfenden was bundled over in the box but the officials weren’t interested. On the quarter hour, the Reds took the lead with an emphatic header from Jones from a superb Carlos Roca corner.

Lee Neville almost repeated this feat a few minutes later when he headed a corner over the bar. The chances continued to come for FC United, Jones marauding into the Buxton half and scuffing a shot that Norton managed to push goalwards but Hartley was equal to it. 

The away side were threatening to run away with the game but Buxton were still hanging on in there and almost pulled level on 26 minutes with Nicky Platt clearing from the line after a shot from Cross. 

Lugsden was the next to have a chance but he shot straight at James Spencer. On 32 minutes, Jake Cottrell put in a superb cross for Norton, who headed wide. A good half for FC United was brought to an end with Roca firing a dangerous shot into the side netting.

As with the first half, the second began with neither team getting themselves on top but as the half wore on, again it was FC who took the upper hand and on 54 minutes Jones almost doubled his FC tally with a header that smacked the post and a few minutes later, Wolfenden cut in and shot but his shot was saved by Hartley.

Martin Pemberton was proving to be a thorn in the FC side and he almost equalised when he beat Kyle Jacobs to the ball but fired straight at Spencer. 

On 66 minutes, the FC lead was doubled when a cross from the left was headed towards goal by Norton, the ball bounced out to Torpey who sidefooted the ball into the net. There was some confusion as to who had scored but it was confirmed as Norton as his header had hit the stanchion at the back of the goal and not the post as it initially appeared.

A couple of minutes later, Spencer proved his worth to FC with a superb double save, initially saving from Towey and then forcing the ball wide with his feet. Roca was unlucky with a run and shot that was straight at the keeper and Norton was also unlucky with a diving header that went wide.

The game was ended in the 87th minute with Torpey playing the ball through to fellow substitute Grimshaw who finished one-on-one with style and deep into injury time Roca broke away with pace and pulled the ball back to Torpey who finished superbly to cap a fine FC performance.

This was a great game for FC United, one that puts to bed the two previous defeats and sets the team up nicely for the “home” game v BPA at The Tameside Stadium on Bank Holiday Monday.
Website man of the match - Adam Jones.

Report by Steven Wood

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 08:51 Mon 29 Aug 2011
News ID ~ 3726
Last Updated ~ 08:51 Mon 29 Aug 2011