FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Youth comeback uncables Prescot

FC United’s Youth Team welcomed Prescot Cables to St Brides at the weekend and registered a hard fought 3-2 win.

It was a scoreline that seemed unlikely after a lethargic first half which ended goalless. Neither keeper had truly been called into action, although three separate long throws by Ryan Lyons in the first quarter of an hour had caused panic in the Prescot defence, no-one was able to take advantage.

Shortly afterwards Ryan’s defensive duties came to the fore as a Prescot free-kick was played into the box, he was able to head it out for a corner.

The best FC chance probably came from a corner when Jake Haslam stooped to head the ball goal wards but Prescot had enough men back to clear the threat. That said Jordan Dainty was unlucky to head wide from another Carl Fitton corner just before the break.

The second half was a somewhat more lively affair with the visitors starting brightly with two corners in the opening minutes, although there was no end result. The reds responded with two half chances of their own. It was the visitors who took the lead in the 53rd minute when having reached the byline on their left, Davison Banda was turned easily and the ball into the box was finished tidily by Charlie Wilson.

FC tried to pick up the pace and started to test the Prescot defence but with Jordan Dainty choosing to use his nose rather than his forehead to move the ball on, he had to leave the field Prescot took advantage and doubled their lead. A fierce drive struck the post and bounced away but the return cross was lashed in by Christian Stewart and that seemed to be that for the unbeaten league run.

Fortunately for the home side, there was a route back into the game with the very next attack when Prescot were punished for what seemed the tamest of handball claims. A penalty was awarded and Dylan Moloney made no mistake. The team numbers were then evened up when Luke Walker came on for his debut replacing the unfortunate Jordan. In less than ten minutes he had announced his arrival, heading a Ryan Lyons free kick home at the far post.

The home side went in front barely two minutes later. Ryan Westwood had crossed from the left for Josh Burke to fire a fierce drive goalwards, only to be denied by a top class save from Cowdall in the visitors’ goal. However, it counted for nothing when the resulting corner was headed home by Harrison Reeve.

In the remaining ten minutes both sides pressed for another goal. FC had an effort ruled out for offside and Prescot saw a free kick drift just wide. The game ended with the reds getting back to winning ways and Prescot bemoaning their luck.

FC United of Manchester: Aron Buckley-Smith, Davison Banda, Carl Fitton, Ryan Lyons, Jordan Dainty (Luke Walker 71 mins), Harrison Reeve, Jake Haslam, Luke Kolakowski (Josh Burke 64 mins), Dylan Moloney, James Green (Ryan Westwood 38 minutes), Daniel McLoughlin. Not Used: Dominic Murphy.

Goals: Dylan Moloney (Pen 71 Mins), Luke Walker (79 mins), Harrison Reeve (80 mins).

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 00:04 Mon 7 Mar 2011
News ID ~ 3461
Last Updated ~ 00:04 Mon 7 Mar 2011