FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Young Reds reach FA County Cup Final

For the second year running the FC United Youth Team have reached the final of the Manchester FA County Cup, this time beating Avro’s 3-2 in what can best be described as a feisty semi final encounter at St Bride’s Field.

In the first half Avro’s of the Tameside League relished their underdog status. Playing with a strong breeze at their backs they made FC fight for every ball and indeed had the better of the early chances with their number seven missing two good chances in the first 25 minutes. Although it has to be said that neither side truly mastered the conditions.

FC’s best early chance came when a break saw Andy Graham cross from the right wing and despite the best efforts of the forward line drifted into the keepers arms.

The game appeared to be reaching a half time stalemate with FC looking to take advantage of the tailwind in the second half, when in the 42nd minute we saw the first move of genuine quality.

Scott Cheetham won the ball in the centre circle and threaded a superb pass to Gage Eme wide on the right. He quickly crossed it into the box and found Roshgar Mousa in space. He took the ball on his chest and then fired home to give FC the lead. The Reds thought that would be enough to give them a half time lead.

Unfortunately, Avro’s weren’t having any of it and went straight up field and equalised when the number 10 fired into the bottom corner.

The second half started much more positively, a tactical switch saw left back Carl Fitton and left wing Jake Haslam swap roles and FC went into a 3-1 lead in the first ten minutes, Carl assisted in both goals. The first a ball beyond the Avro’s back four saw Roshgar steer the ball past the keeper towards an empty net. A last ditch attempt by a defender to clear it off the line didn’t work.

Secondly, three minutes later Carl played a ball across to Gage Eme on the edge of the box. His quick drive into the top corner showed the quality that has caught Margy’s eye and earned Gage a first team place.

FC then took control of the game and had several excellent chances to make the game safe. Then as so often been the case in football, failures at one end are punished at the other.

In the 70th minute Avro’s worked the ball to the right wing and a firm cross was driven on to an FC arm. Naturally they appealed vociferously and slightly harsh penalty was awarded. The number seven made no mistake.

It was then all hands to the deck as Avro’s pressed for an equaliser that would have taken the game into extra time. Keenness that would provide a busy afternoon for the FC physio. An agonising eight minutes of injury time, the reds held on and nearly made it four when Ryan shot from 25 yards and was only just kept out by the keeper.

Roshgar tried to force home the loose ball but found only a combination of post and goalkeeper in his way.

The lads held on to see out a 3-2 victory and earn the chance to complete the defence of a trophy won last year. The location of the final is not yet known, nor are the opponents apart from the other semi-final being between De La Salle and NJ Wythenshawe Juniors. The date is likely to be 16 May and provide a treat for those not otherwise enjoying continental football.

FC United of Manchester.

Joe Grantham, Andy Graham, Carl Fitton (Dylan Moloney 75 mins), Ferre Edwards, Jordan Dainty, Scott Cheetham, Ryan Lyons, Luke Kolakowski, Roshgar Mousa,Gage Eme, Jake Haslam. Subs not used Ibukun Modupe-Ojo, Josh Burke.
Goals: RoshgarMousa (42 & 51) Gage Eme (54)

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 11:25 Mon 29 Mar 2010
News ID ~ 2800
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013