FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Reds rescue a point in six goal thriller

Six goals, two penalties and two red cards. The game had it all as FC United came from behind twice to rescue a valuable point and their unbeaten record in 2010 with a 3-3 draw against promotion rivals North Ferriby United on Saturday afternoon.

The Reds found themselves 2-0 down at half-time in front of a crowd of 2,021 supporters but Ben Deegan and captain David Chadwick hauled United level before Ferriby struck back and Deegan had to find another equaliser late on from the penalty spot.

United were a goal down after five minutes after some poor defending lead to a mix up between Sam Ashton and Ludovic Quistin which saw the United left-back fumble the ball into his own goal.

There wasn’t really much else to the first half with the Reds waiting until after the half hour point to create their first and only real chance of the opening half. Jerome Wright fired a shot from the left wing to see it parried by The Villagers ’keeper Steve Wilson, before Wilson made a fantastic close range save from Deegan from the rebound.

Hopes of a United comeback were dealt a severe blow when the visitors broke away down the opposite end and Mark Whitehouse was given the easiest of chances when Russell Fry skilfully squared to him in the box to tap the ball home for 2-0.

Karl Marginson may not be the type for the hairdryer treatment at half-time but whatever FC United’s manager said to the players at the interval had a profound effect as they took to the field for the second half, wasting no time to create good chances and using good possession of the ball.

Sensing a new purpose in the players the crowd got on board and this added atmosphere resulted in United getting a goal back when Deegan rose well at the far post to head home Phil Marsh’s cross from the right to take the score to 2-1.

Five minutes later and United were level. Marsh was again the provider, this time with a corner for a classic Chadwick header. The centre-back flung himself at the ball, almost breaking the back of the net. The captain was clearly elated with the goal that saw his team draw level.

But as has been the case for much of the season, United undid that good work by letting the visitors back into the lead, when midfielder Chris Bolder rose well in the United box to head home and give the visitors the goal advantage again.

The visitors then let United back into things unnecessarily. A cross from the right came into the box and Deegan looked certain to get his head to the ball only for it to be knocked away by the arm of defender Ben Turner. United had a penalty and more importantly a route back into the game.

Deegan raced to get the ball and went to the spot but after a short consultation with Marsh it was decided that the former Manchester United player would take the responsibility. Marsh’s low but weak shot to the bottom right hand corner was easily saved by Wilson and it looked as though United had squandered a gift of an opportunity to get themselves level once more.

However, there was still time for more incident and United were storming forward. The Reds were given another spot-kick when Carlos Roca chested the ball down whilst running into the box only to be brought down by Kevin Larvin.

Referee Mr Norris awarded the penalty and showed Larvin to the stands for the clumsy challenge. This time there was no consultation; Deegan took the ball, placed it on the spot and fired past Wilson to bring United level once more.

A famous turn around was on the cards but Untied just couldn’t capitalise on having the extra man for the final 10 minutes. Not long before the end Rob Nugent was given a second yellow for blocking off a North Ferriby attack.
With both teams down to 10 men the game was back on an even footing and so the score-line stayed equal too.

Margy’s men still remain unbeaten in 2010; a run which now stretches to seven games. They will now look to take this form and the spirit of such a comeback into the next home match against Ossett Town (who were thumped 7-0 at Boston on Saturday) on Wednesday night.

Report by Craig Phillips.

Supporters can vote for their FC United man-of-the-match by clicking here.

North Ferriby United
27th February 2010
Played at: Gigg Lane, Bury
UniBond League Premier

Drew: 3-3
Half Time: 0-2
Attendance: 2,021

FC United
1. S Ashton
2. L Quistin
3. J Cottrell
4. J Holden
5. D Chadwick (capt) (cautioned 90+3)
6. R Nugent (cautioned 23, 86 = sent off 86)
7. C Roca
8. S Carden
9. K Wilson
10. J Wright
11. B Deegan
12. P Marsh (for 4 46)
13. G Shenton
14. J Yoffe (for 9 68)
15. A Tsiaklis
16. A Karim

Scorers: Deegan 59, 79 pen, Chadwick 65

North Ferriby United
1. S Wilson
2. T Matthews
3. K Larvin (sent off 78)
4. B Turner (cautioned 73)
5. P Foot (capt)
6. C Bolder
7. D Cooke
8. R Fry
9. A Davidson
10. G Bradshaw (cautioned 34)
11. M Whitehouse
12. P Davidson (for 10 90)
14. B Morley (for 9 80)
15. C Hunter
17. B Hallam

Scorers: Quistin 5 og, Whitehouse 43, Bolder 71

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 21:45 Sun 28 Feb 2010
News ID ~ 2741
Last Updated ~ 12:36 Mon 21 May 2018