FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

United enjoy victorious Tameside Trophy trip

FC United advanced to the second qualifying round of the FA Carlsberg Trophy with a comfortable 3-1 victory at Ashton United on Saturday afternoon with goals from Phil Marsh, Adam Tong and Carlos Roca.

The Reds continued this season’s great cup form by easing past the Robins at Hurst Cross. Marsh broke the deadlock on 22 minutes with a tap-in, Tong doubled the lead three minutes before half-time with a long range screamer and although Ashton pulled one back through Matty O’Neill seconds later, Roca sealed victory with 20 minutes to go.

The next round is scheduled to take place on Saturday 31 October and United will discover their opponents when the draw is made around 12 noon on Monday.

It was the home side who started the brightest with three good chances in the opening 10 minutes. Firstly United ’keeper Sam Ashton tipped over from home skipper Kearney whist his defensive partner Johnson fired just wide.

Ashton was called into action again soon after with a save from Richards. The first chance for the away side came soon after with a lovely one-two between Marsh and Roca which saw a shot from the former Manchester United player saved by Smith in the Ashton goal.

The chances were still coming at the other end with a slip in defence allowing McFadden to have a good shot at goal but once again Ashton was equal to it - pulling off a good save.

The first goal came on 22 minutes and, slightly against the run of play, went to the Reds. A cross from the left by Jerome Wright was flicked on by Ben Deegan and fell nicely to Marsh who controlled the ball and fired it into the bottom corner.

The goal certainly spurred the Reds into action with Jake Cottrell having a shot saved and a superb long range effort from Marsh was tipped over by Smith. It looked just a matter of time that the away team would double their lead but when it came, it came in a most unlikely manner.

The ball found its way from the left to Tong who was around 35 yards out. The ball bounced up nicely and he caught it full on the volley. The shot certainly took the keeper by surprise as he could only watch as the ball flew over his head and into the top corner.

Straight from the kick off, the Robins surged forward and with United’s defence floundering, O’Neill cut in from the left and put the ball past Ashton to pull a goal back.

The away side started the second half brightly with Deegan having a couple of good chances, one wide and one saved by the keeper. This spurred Ashton into action and they started to take the game to FC with a succession of good chances that luckily for the Reds they didn’t take.

With 20 minutes to go United extended their lead, again against the run of the play. Roca picked the ball up on the right before cutting inside and firing a superb shot into the bottom corner to make the game safe.

The game was just the tough encounter FC United needed before they continue their FA Cup campaign at Northwich Victoria next Saturday in the fourth qualifying round.

Report by Steven Wood.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 09:23 Mon 19 Oct 2009
News ID ~ 2484
Last Updated ~ 12:36 Mon 21 May 2018