FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Ten men United slump to defeat

Rob Nugent was sent off for two bookable offences as FC United slumped to a disappointing 3-1 defeat against lowly Worksop on Wednesday night in Ilkeston.

The game started slowly but the first chance fell to the Reds with captain David Chadwick having a header saved from a superb cross from Ben Morris. A minute later, the game turned, when Rob Nugent picked up his second yellow card for a second trip on a player he had got the wrong side of.

Worksop took the lead from the resultant free kick with a diving header by Daniel Bacon at the far post. The first half continued with United having most of the ball but with sloppy errors from players putting the team in trouble. Sam Ashton was called into action when he had to pluck a chip out of the air after a slip by Danny Warrender.

The second half started in a similar way to the first and it took 10 minutes for the first piece of action, with a run and shot from the hard working Ben Deegan that just flew wide.

On the hour mark, after a good spell of United pressure, Chaddy nearly got the Reds back on level terms with a header that was tipped round the post. From the corner, somehow the ball was played onto the bar, seemingly from a mix of a head of an attacker and the fingers of the keeper. From the rebound Worksop broke quickly and a mix up between Carden and Ashton gave Ben Tomlinson the chance to roll the ball into the empty net.

Despite this, United did continue to press for the goal to get back into the game, Carlos Roca having a shot wide and substitute Jake Cottrell stabbing the ball wide.

With having the extra man, Worksop were always capable of a breakaway and so it proved on 74 minutes when they broke down the left and the ball was fired home by Bacon from the edge of the box for his second of the night.

Tong did pull a goal back on 81 minutes and despite having the vast majority of the ball FC couldn’t pull themselves back into the game with a lack of penetration and final ball being a problem.

United must now pick themselves up for their trip to North Ferriby in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup on Saturday.

Report by Steven Wood

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 09:44 Thu 24 Sep 2009
News ID ~ 2430
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013