FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

United beaten at Irlam

FC United let a one goal lead slip as they went down 2-1 at North West Counties outfit Irlam on Wednesday night but the match provided a good workout for a number of players.

Former Manchester United youngster Phil Marsh broke the deadlock around 10 minutes into the second half but the Silver Street side struck back twice to take victory.

Pre-season rustiness was in evidence early in the game as both teams struggled to find any sort of rhythm but the Reds soon took control of the game with Ben Morris and Adam Carden in particular standing out.

Marsh, playing his first game of pre-season, had the first shot on target but it was comfortably saved by Lee Lambert in the Irlam goal. Rob Nugent thought he had headed United into the lead on 28 minutes but the referee’s assistant had other ideas as he had his flag up for offside.

The Reds started the second half with a couple of changes and they started the strongest, Simon Carden accidentally blocking a Danny Williams shot close to the line.

On 56 mins, a rare mistake from Irlam skipper Roberts allowed Marsh a tap in to an open goal, after he attempted a back pass to his keeper.

With FC having most of the ball and knocking it around nicely, it was left to Irlam to counter attack. The hosts took to the task well and were rewarded with a goal by Dean Tymon who slotted the ball through Sam Ashtons legs.

With 10 minutes to go, United were caught out again when a long range shot from Chris Palmer found its way past Ashton and into the bottom corner.

So FC taste defeat on their first visit to Irlam but manager Karl Marginson can take heart from some of the performances on show particularly Ben Morris and the evergreen Simon Carden. Onwards and upwards to Wimbledon.

Report by Steven Wood.

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 10:35 Thu 23 Jul 2009
News ID ~ 2327
Last Updated ~ 17:14 Fri 11 Oct 2013