Mossley AFCFC United   

Match Report

OppositionMossley AFC
VenueMarket Street, Mossley, OL5 0ES, Seel Park
CompetitionNorth West Youth Alliance Challenge Cup
1 (0)-3 (0)
Match Report
After last week’s win at St Brides, FC United and Mossley crossed swords at Seel Park. The prize at stake this time was a place in the semi final of the Neil Thomason Trophy; competed for by the twelve teams in the NWYA’s top division. FC United started with the same first eleven but Mossley made six changes. This provided an altogether more competitive encounter. A total of seven yellow cards, two of which turned red with Connor Naughton and Mossley’s Andy McKernon departing ahead of schedule seemed harsh but the outcome was the same as the reds progress; this time with a 3-1 win.

There were a few half chances early on but it was not until the 24th minute that FC opened the scoring. Jonathan Poizer took a free kick out on the right corner of the penalty area, driving the ball in low and hard and Kial Callacher poked home, from only a little further out than last week but there could be no doubting that this was genuinely his goal. Matthew Boland had a chance to double the score soon afterwards but was unable to punish an error in the home defence, shooting just wide and Omar McKenzie had Mossley’s best chance of the first half firing just wide five minutes later.

For the rest of the half it was all FC United as two further goals effectively clinched the result. In the 36th minute Richard Smith brought an end to a game of head tennis in the Mossley six yard area after Goal Keeper Nick Howard had fumbled a corner. Matthew Boland did score just before half time in possibly the move of the match. Released by Josh Smethurst, Sam Howell muscled his way round the left back before crossing to Matty.

Mossley started the second half brightly and were desperately unlucky not to pull a goal back straight away as Saul Henderson lashed a shot goal bound only to see it hit the underside of the bar and bounce down and away from goal.

Despite the number of cautions Physio Debbie Wilson only had one outing on to the pitch, but with two players to treat as first Richard Smith went down but play continued long enough for James Brooks to need treatment. Shortly afterwards Mossley did pull a goal back as Adam Bezzina punished some hesitant defending.

The home side tried to pull one more back to try and provide a rousing finish but in truth FC had the better chances although neither side had any clear cut chances. An honourable mention has to go to fifteen year old FC substitute and debutant Andy Lee who replaced Richard Smith. He was a constant thorn in the side of the home defence, looking as though he had been there all season.

All in all it was a good display by everyone who took to the field for FC United as Mossley gave a much sterner test of their credentials than last week. Even so they continue to compete for four trophies and it is back to St Bride’s next week for the third quarter final, this time against Ashton Athletic in the NWYA Open Cup.

FC United of Manchester: Andrew Farrimond, Alex Stones, Josh Smethurst, Richard Smith (Andy Lee 57 mins), James Brooks, Kial Callacher (Kyle Cunningham 46 mins),Sam Howell, Connor Naughton, Theo Kidd, Matthew Boland, Jonathan Poizer (Matthew Hassall 46 mins).

Goals: Kial Callacher, Richard Smith and Matthew Boland.