Durham CityFC United  Click here to watch match highlights  Click here to listen to match highlights 

Match Report

OppositionDurham City
VenueBelmont Industrial Est, Durham, DH1 1GG, The Arnott Stadium
CompetitionFA Trophy
1 (0)-1 (1)
Dowson 47 Norton 45
1 J Winter
2 A Stephenson
3 D Madden
4 J Davis
5 R Wilkinson (capt)
6 Arjun Purewal
7 E Cutts
8 G Brown
9 D Dowson
10 S Thompson
11 Amar Purewal

14 B Greulich-Smith (for 7, 85 mins)
16 J Home-Jackson (for 10, 83 mins)
1 James Spencer
2 Dean Stott Yellow card
3 Kyle Jacobs (capt)
4 Jake Cottrell
5 Adam Jones
6 Greg Stones
7 Carlos Roca
8 Michael Carr
9 Mike Norton
10 Matthew Wolfenden
11 Lee Neville

12 Ben Deegan (for 2, 74 mins)
14 Astley Mulholland (for 10, 34 mins)
15 Nick Platt (for 8, 90 mins)
Match Report
FC United and Durham will replay their FA Carlsberg Trophy match this Wednesday at Gigg Lane after drawing 1-1 on Saturday afternoon at the Arnott Stadium.

It was a hard fought contest which saw David Dowson’s goal just after half-time for the Citizens cancelling out Mike Norton’s strike for the Reds which had come moments before the break.

United started brightly with centre-half Adam Jones heading over after only two minutes but the home side soon got a foot into the game with a mistake by Greg Stones in the FC defence allowing in Amar Purewal but thankfully his shot was blocked.

From the resulting throw up field from goalkeeper James Spencer, Carlos Roca broke free and his cross was narrowly chipped over the bar by Norton. Neither side could really take hold of the game and the first few exchanges were mainly strikes from distance that flew over the respective crossbars.

On 23 minutes, Spencer was called into action when he tipped wide a header from Durham captain Ross Wilkinson. Just over ten minutes later, Spencer was called into action again when Dowson was played clear but the Reds keeper pulled off a great one-on-one save.

This prompted FC United into action, Roca seeing a shot saved by James Winter in the home goal but it took till the end of the half for the Reds to take the lead. A free-kick was played into the box where Lee Neville challenged with Winter, the ball dropped to Norton who tapped the ball into the empty net. FC went into the break with the lead having seen much of the ball but Durham creating the better chances.

Durham started the second half with the perfect response when Dowson broke down the right and appeared to slice a cross beyond Spencer and into the far corner of the net. His reaction showed that he surprised at the goal but on chances created in the opening half, it was probably deserved.

It was real end-to-end action as both sides went in search of the winning goal. Michael Carr had a good chance for FC United on 55 minutes when he was played in by winger Astley Mullholland, but his shot was straight at Winter.

On the hour mark, three Durham players found themselves through on goal but Spencer was quick to smother the danger. Three minutes later, Neville broke down the left and crossed to Mullholland who saw his goalbound shot blocked.

Durham almost took the lead on 70 minutes when a free-kick from Stephen Thompson smacked the post, the rebound being headed goalwards by a Durham attacker where Spencer pulled off a remarkable save to keep the ball out.

Two minutes later, FC United should have been in the lead when a free-kick was chipped in the box, Norton beating Winter to the ball and knocking it back to Mullholland who fired over with the goal at his mercy.

There was still time for Durham to have a goal disallowed for offside and Nicky Platt to see a shot blocked deep into injury time. Both sides must do it all again on Wednesday where we’ll be hoping for as much entertainment but this time coupled with a United victory.

Website man of the match - James Spencer. Pulled off a number of great saves that kept FC United in the game.

Report by Steven Wood