Morecambe 'A'FC United   

Match Report

OppositionMorecambe 'A'
VenueMorecambe Road, Lancaster, LA1 2TY, Lancaster & Morecambe College
CompetitionNorth West Youth Alliance Football League
2 (0)-4 (0)
Match Report
FC United youth journeyed back up the M6 to Morecambe for a league game. This took place on a 3G pitch as the grass pitch used last week was now deemed to be waterlogged. As with last week’s game there was a strong wind blowing and it was the team playing with the wind in each half that made best use of the conditions. It was however the reverse of last week as Morecambe were able to take advantage in the first half.

Even so that was not before FC had spurned a chance from the penalty spot after Theo Kidd had been pulled back as he tried to burst through the defence. Connor Naughton took the kick well enough, but Cookson in the home goal, having guessed right was able to turn it away. It wasn’t quite an immediate break upfield, but the next substantial FC touch was from Jonathan Beisty. He had to pick the ball out of his net after Liam Wainwright floated a shot over his head from the edge of the box and into the top corner.

Morecambe then spent most of the half using the wind to try and hit balls beyond the FC defence and build from the result. It was only poor finishing that meant the home side didn’t add to their lead sooner than the 40th minute. They had at least four good chances before a Lewis Finney corner was headed in by Luke Selby at the far post.

This shock finally prompted FC to start playing their high paced passing game and it quickly made it 2-1 when Matthew Hassall passed to Connor and this time he made no mistake. Only a superb goal line clearance prevented Jonathan Poizer making it 2-2 before half time.

The home sides’ tactics were less effective playing into the wind and the scores were level five minutes after the restart. Theo fired in a cross from the right, having got behind the defence. Matthew Boland hit a shot was goal bound until a flying block that looked like handball had everyone screaming for another penalty; everyone except Poizer who smashed home the rebound to remove any doubt.

FC took the lead on the hour when right back Alex Stones, on one of his many forays forward took a pass from Theo and drilled the ball into the box. It looked from the sideline as if Jonathan Poizer had applied a finishing touch but at full time Alex was keen to inform us that the crucial touch was from a Morecambe defender and as it was on target any way it was his goal. The points were secured when a delightful ball from Thomas Minnock provided Theo with a run on goal in the 74th minute. The striker made no mistake.

Morecambe had given FC a stiffer test this week and although they didn’t score in the second half, that was down to some resolute defending and the fact that the smallest man on the pitch Obrian Richards happened to be standing on exactly the right piece of goal line in injury time as he blocked a fierce drive.

FC United of Manchester: Jonathan Beisty, Alex Stones, Obrian Richards, Kyle Cunningham, James Brooks, Jonathan Poizer, Connor Naughton (Christopher Smith 62 mins), Thomas Minnock, Theo Kidd, Matthew Boland, Matthew Hassall (Joe Power 67 mins).

Goals: Connor Naughton, Jonathan Poizer, Alex Stones, Theo Kidd.