Boston UnitedFC United  Click here to watch match highlights  

Match Report

OppositionBoston United
VenueYork Street, Boston, Lincs, PE21 6JN, York Street
CompetitionThe UniBond League Premier Division
4 (0)-1 (1)
Canoville 70
Church 77
Weir-Daley 79
Davidson 88
 Wright 4
1 T Evans
2 J Cullingworth
3 C Wood
4 A Church
5 S Pearson
6 L Canoville (capt) (cautioned 58)
7 R Semple
8 D Sleath
9 M Suarez
10 S Weir-Daley
11 M Newsham

15 G Davies (for 4 89)
16 J Yates (for 7 64)
17 D Davidson (for 9 62)
1 Grant Shenton
2 Kyle Jacobs
3 Ludovic Quistin
4 Cedric Krou
5 David Chadwick (capt)
6 Mark Ayres
7 Carlos Roca
8 Simon Carden
9 Phil Marsh
10 Jerome Wright
11 Ben Morris

12 Joseph Yoffe (for 6, 79 mins)
16 Chris Ovington (for 7, 78 mins)
17 James Holden (for 11, 70 mins)
Match Report
A first-half lead was blown away in the last 20 minutes as FC United were beaten 4-1 by Boston United on Saturday afternoon in front of 2,533 raucous supporters.

Jerome Wright put the Reds ahead inside five minutes with a wonder free-kick but a superb second half performance from the hosts saw four goals without reply to clinch an emphatic victory which puts the Pilgrims top of the UniBond Premier Division.

Wright curled a 30 yard free-kick into the top right corner, a goal which wouldn’t have looked out of place much higher up the football pyramid, to get United off to a cracking start.

It was backs to the wall stuff after that as Boston dominated the match. Resolute defending from the United back four, particularly captain David Chadwick and fellow centre-back Mark Ayres, frustrated the hosts for well over an hour.

However, captain Lee Canoville finally got the equaliser Boston’s pressure deserved in the 70 minute. Anthony Church made it 2-1 seven minutes later and unfortunately, after Boston’s second United crumbled - allowing Spencer Weir-Daley to add a third in the 79th minute and substitute Danny Davidson put the icing on the cake two minutes from time.

The match was barely underway when Phil Marsh won a free-kick 30 yards out and to the right of goal. Marsh twisted and turned and was too quick for Church who upended the United striker. Wright stepped up confidently and curled the ball into the top corner giving goalkeeper Tom Evans no chance.

Boston could easily have been back on level terms within minutes. A volley from Church was just wide and moments later Ayres made a brilliant volleyed clearance off the line after Weir-Daley looked to have beaten United ‘keeper Grant Shenton.

Just before the half hour mark, Mikel Suarez headed the ball down to Weir-Daley who struck a fierce effort goalwards but it was straight at Shenton who made a solid save. It was very much one-way traffic but United were battling hard with midfielders Ben Morris and Cedric Krou dropping deep to help protect the one goal lead.

Five minutes before the break and Boston went close again. A free-kick from the left wing by James Cullingworth was headed wide by Weir-Daley when the striker probably should have done better.

On the stroke of half-time, United had one of their very few chances. A Wright corner was headed over the bar by a leaping Carlos Roca, who has started to become quite prolific with his head in recent weeks.

Into the second-half and it was much of the same. United were battling to maintain their one goal lead. Shenton made a good stop to deny Weir-Daley who looked destined to score. Moments later, United almost doubled their advantage from another set piece but Evans was equal to a swirling free-kick from Marsh.

Finally Boston’s pressure told. Shaun Pearson flicked on Jamie Yates’ cross and Canoville created enough space for himself to fire the ball home. Seven minutes later, Weir-Daley evaded the United defence to get to the by-line on the left wing before cutting the ball back to Church who slammed the ball into the back on the net.

With just over 10 minutes remaining, Boston’s fitness and league position began to show. Yates burst clear of the tiring United defence before teeing up Weir-Daley, who was able to roll the ball past the unfortunate Shenton.

Finally, Davidson made it four at the death. Boston will rightly say they earned the victory but it was a score line which belies the hardworking United performance. All that was left was for the travelling Red army to applaud their team from the pitch and for a large section of the home supporters to show their appreciation to the United faithful for the atmosphere they had created.