FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

Youth team score six in FA Youth Cup win over Southport

FC United’s youth team hit Southport for six when they advanced into the First Round Qualifying of the FA Youth Cup with a comprehensive 6-2 win over their Merseyside opponents at Broadhurst Park on 9 September.

A hat trick from Cameron Horner, two goals from Jack Tinning and one from Keenan Tuck did the damage as a rampant FC United side won their first ever home tie in the FA’s premier competition for youth sides. The 294 supporters who turned up to watch were rewarded with an eight-goal thriller and some quite scintillating forward play by Rhodri Giggs’s side.

Urged to set a high tempo from the start the Reds exceeded expectations, scoring after just 18 seconds. Southport had kicked off and were playing in their own half trying to settle nerves when Cameron Horner pounced to score his first and the quickest goal yet at Broadhurst Park. It was 2-0 little more than five minutes later as Horner scored his second.

It was perhaps a surprise that there were no further goals in the first half but not truly unexpected that Southport recovered from that initial blast and began to pose a threat of their own. They had much of the possession for the rest of the half but the home defence dealt capably and Alec Robinson in the home goal was not seriously tested.

The second half started in the same manner as the first as Horner completed his hat-trick inside a minute and Jack Tinning made it 4-0 with not much more than five minutes played. That seemed to be enough to close the game as FC sought to play patient possession football and wait for further chances. It seemed to be working as the game reached its last quarter of an hour. Southport had other ideas though as Tom Grimshaw scored direct from a corner kick and Leon Townley broke clear of a hesitant defence to make it 4-2.

That livened up the visiting support and it seemed that we might have been in for a nervous last few minutes but somehow we should have known better. Tinning got his second and United’s fifth with a free kick from the corner of the box. A host of red shirts tried to get a touch on the ball driven in to the box but no-one did and the ball evaded Ethan Smith in the Southport goal.

Horner turned provider in the closing minutes as he bamboozled a Southport defender in the right corner and ran in to cross. Keenan Tuck was on hand to supply the finish.

The draw for the First Round Qualifying stage of the competition has already been made and sees FC take on Altrincham at home, so the youth team will have another night under lights at Broadhurst Park to look forward to. The match will be played in the week beginning 21 September and if Giggs’s team can turn in another performance like tonight then supporters will be in for an absolute treat.

First Posted ~ 00:36 Thu 10 Sep 2015
News ID ~ 6365
Last Updated ~ 01:47 Tue 16 Feb 2021