FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

Youth not up for the cup

Cup football returned to St Bride’s this Sunday in the form of the NWYA Premier Division Cup Quarter Final. The home sides luck was no better than in earlier competitions. The record for this season totally contrasting with league form having played three and lost three. Altrincham were the beneficiaries this time, winning 3-2 as three defensive errors proved costly.

The game started quietly as both sides battled for control in midfield, the first effort of note came in the 12th minute when Ryan Lyons and Scott Cheetham combined to set up Jay Walcott whose shot was saved. The next ten minutes saw Altrincham ascendant as three half chances were spurned. However it was FC United that opened the scoring. In the 22nd minute Scott crossed from the left and Luke Kolakowski was able to fire home from the edge of the box.

Altrincham were not thrown out of their stride and went straight in search of an equaliser. A long straight free kick gave an indication that the reds defence were having an off day as it was just about headed out for a corner. The equaliser came just before half time, although in the attack preceding, it was not entirely certain from the touchline how the home side had failed to increase their lead. When Adam Reid in the Altrincham goal finally got the ball under control, he launched a long kick down field and whilst at least three of the FC defenders had chance to do something to clear the danger, none did. Theo Kidd was able to just wait for the ball to stop bouncing before shooting home.

The second half had a brighter start for FC as in the first attack a penalty was awarded for handball. Josh Burke made no mistake sending Reid the wrong way. The lead was short lived as a defensive lapse on the right allowed the Altrincham left winger time to drill a cross into the box and in off a defender trying to clear.

Altrincham continued to press and should have scored fifteen minutes later when breaking clear from an Offside claim that wasn’t given, only for the shot to go just wide. The winning goal came in the 78th minute as Theo Kidd punished more hesitant home defending. Much of the remainder of the game saw FC push forward looking for a goal to take the game to extra time. Sadly, the subtle football that has been a feature of this season was in short supply as the Altrincham defence was rarely troubled. The best chance was an injury time free kick which whilst heading for the top corner was easily held by Reid. On the day Altrincham were worthy winners and progress on to the semi-final.

FC United of Manchester: Andrew Farrimond, Ryan Lyons, Jake Haslam, Obied Elghreaw, Jordan Dainty, Luke Kolakowski (Harrison Reeve 62 mins), Kane Joyce (Luke Walker 86 mins), Josh Burke, Jay Walcott, Matthew Boland (Daniel McLoughlin 51 mins), Scott Cheetham. Not Used: Aron Buckley-Smith, Lee Hill.

Goals: Luke Kolakowski (22 mins), Josh Burke (Pen 47 mins).

First Posted ~ 21:07 Sun 20 Mar 2011
News ID ~ 3483
Last Updated ~ 02:52 Tue 16 Feb 2021