FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

Signs remain positive despite narrow loss to play off hopefuls

Signs remain positive despite narrow loss to play off hopefulsThe wait for our first home win of the season goes on after a narrow defeat to Telford on Saturday, but the performance showed we are still moving in the right direction.

Whilst there was a familiar sense of frustration at the full-time whistle on Saturday, there were plenty of positives to take away from the narrow loss against a strong Telford side.

Since the appointment of Reno last month, the players have quickly adapted to an expansive, attacking style of football that was once again on display on Saturday afternoon.

Coming into the game on an unbeaten run of five games, Reds supporters have had plenty to be excited about following impressive away wins at Hereford and Blyth Spartans.

Telford - who have been somewhat a bogey side for FC over the years - came into the game in a 6th place, and showed glimpses of their quality in the the early stages of the game.

Defensive errors resulted in a goal for the visitors, with striker Darryl Knights slotting the ball past Lloyd Allinson. However, it only took 10 minutes for us to equalise after a calamitous error from Telford keeper Andy Wycherley, who gifted Tom Peers his third goal in three games.

Neil Reynolds will have been delighted with his side’s response, who really dug into the game throughout the second half, making it difficult for an organised, counter-attacking Telford side. In comparison to the start of the season, this showed just how far the players have come in a short space of time.

Reynolds’ free-flowing philosophy has clearly rejuvenated the players, but it was ultimately Amari-Morgan Smith’s goal in the 55th minute that proved decisive.

The result has seen us drop to 19th in the table, but the feeling is that we are very much heading in the right direction despite this blip.

A strong number of the 2,211 crowd stayed behind to clap off the team at the end of the game after a spirited display which could have easily merited at least a point.

We now look to our second visit to Hereford in the space of two weeks as take them on in the third round of the FA Trophy on Saturday.

If the performance is anything like the last time we visited Edgar Street, we should have that winning feeling back in no time at all.

First Posted ~ 20:56 Mon 19 Nov 2018
News ID ~ 8160
Last Updated ~ 17:00 Fri 19 Feb 2021