FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

FC United slip to narrow defeat at Stourbridge - full report

FC United slipped to our first defeat in 10 games as the Reds lost 2-1 at Stourbridge on Saturday afternoon in front of a crowd of 1,444 at the War Memorial Athletic Ground.

Karl Marginson’s side were out muscled by a physical and clinical Glassboys team who scored two first half goals with rasping shots from outside the box and then proceeded to defend their lead impressively.

FC United did reply through Tom Greaves with 10 minutes to go after great work by Frank Van Gils but unfortunately it was too little, too late.

Kayelden Brown scored a virtually unstoppable goal 26 minutes into the match when he turned and shot into the bottom corner from 18-yards. Just over 10 minutes later, Kristian Ramsey-Dickson netted an almost equally impressive effort, firing into the bottom far corner after breaking free on the left.

The second goal was particularly disappointing from an FC United point of view as it came from a long ball played up field by Stourbridge goalkeeper Dean Coleman and should have been cut out.

FC United huffed and puffed throughout the match whilst playing some good passing football but, in truth, they rarely threatened to beat Coleman.

The Glassboys shot-stopper didn’t have to make a save in the first half although FC United’s two standout performers, Craig Lindfield and Van Gils both had opportunities to score.

Lindfield blasted a snatched shot shot wide from a difficult angle and, seconds before halftime, Van Gils glanced a Lindfield corner wide of the far post with the faintest of headers when a firm connection would surely have resulted in a goal.

It took until the 70th minute for Coleman to be truly tested by the Reds and he was only just equal to it - palming a Greg Daniels piledriver up in the air before centre-back Paul McCone cleared the ball to safety.

Ten minutes later, FC United got the goal our play deserved. Van Gils showed great skill and composure to turn the Stourbridge leftback inside out before firing a low cross into the six yard box for Greaves to turn home, marking his 100th appearance for the club.

Moments later, Van Gils had an opportunity to snatch an equaliser but he lacked the composure he had shown earlier, firing his shot high and wide.

A draw would have been harsh on the hosts who took their chances with aplomb and then set out snuffing out almost every FC United attack on the edge of the penalty area. It wasn’t always pretty to watch but it’s the sort of tactics that often win football matches.

FC United should take heart from the fact we were only narrowly beaten for the first time in two months by a good, solid team away from home who will surely be in contention for promotion.

With other results going our way, the Reds just slipped to fifth in the Evo-Stik Premier Division and must now pick themselves up for the FA Trophy next Saturday at Barwell.

Website man of the match: Frank Van Gils. Has impressed in his three first team performances so far this season. Looked lively all afternoon, created FC United’s goal and should have had one for himself.

Report by Matthew Haley

First Posted ~ 18:38 Sat 22 Nov 2014
News ID ~ 5853
Last Updated ~ 02:52 Tue 16 Feb 2021