FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

FC United slip to first league defeat for five months at Skelmersdale - full report

FC United are now two points clear at the top of the Evo-Stik Premier Division with a game in hand after slipping to a first league defeat for five months at Skelmersdale United on Tuesday night.

The Reds lost 1-0 at the West Lancashire College Stadium whilst our title rivals Workington beat Trafford 1-0 at home and Ashton United won 3-0 at Ramsbottom. The result means that FC United now have three games left to secure the five points needed to definitely win the title but four would almost certainly be enough due to a vastly superior goal difference.

Skelmersdale became the only club to achieve a home and away double over FC United during a frustrating night, which saw the Reds hit the woodwork twice and concede the only goal of the game from a soft free-kick.

The visitors started brightly with Tom Brown firing just over the bar after three minutes. The Reds were seeing lots of the ball but couldn’t make any clear chances, Dean Stott fired wide and Craig Lindfield saw a free-kick fly just past the post.

It took until the 30th minute for the first FC United clear chance on goal as a Liam Brownhill cross found Matthew Wolfenden well placed in the box but his header was high. Seven minutes later Lindfield was involved again as he set himself up for a shot, but saw the ball hit the top of the bar and went over.

Straight from the half time restart, the Reds looked to have taken the lead as a Lindfield shot was fumbled by Steven James, the rebound falling to Wolfenden who shot over.

Shortly before the hour mark there was a warning to the FC United defence as a long ball was played in, beating goalkeeper Dave Carnell who had raced out of his box. Scott Bakkor rounded Carnell and crossed but there was no-one in the box to convert.

Nine minutes later, the killer blow was dealt as a soft free-kick was given against Jerome Wright on the right touchline. The delivery was superb and found Danny Mitchley who side-footed into the bottom corner.

Karl Marginson’s side tried to pile on the pressure to gain a priceless equalising goal and point but couldn’t find the quality or breakthrough. Chris Lynch hit the post with a header and in injury time Rory Fallon fired over when well placed in the box.

Man of the Match - Tom Brown. A busy performance in the midfield, constantly finding space and using the ball well.

Report by Steven Wood

First Posted ~ 22:44 Tue 14 Apr 2015
News ID ~ 6151
Last Updated ~ 02:52 Tue 16 Feb 2021