FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

FC United draw at North Ferriby - full report

FC United came away from Humberside with a hard fought 1-1 draw against promotion rivals North Ferriby United on Tuesday night but they will feel they could have bagged all three points.

An own goal by Sam Denton had given the Reds a half-time lead but unfortunately they were unable to press home their advantage as the hosts grabbed an equaliser through Chris Bolder just before the hour mark, leaving the two sides to share the spoils.

The game started cagily and it was the home side who had the first chance of the night with Fry shooting at Sam Ashton. Jerome Wright, returning to the starting line-up after his injury sustained at Stocksbridge, almost put the Reds in the lead shortly after when capitalising on a defensive mistake but he couldn’t get the ball under control to fire at goal.

Alex Davidson was causing mayhem for the FC United backline and he was allowed a run on goal when David Chadwick missed his clearance but fortunately Ashton was quickly out to save at the striker’s feet.

Ashton had to be sharp again on the quarter hour, when a cross from the right was headed at goal by Bradshaw. The United keeper produced a great save to flick the ball wide.

From this point, the Reds began to gain the ascendency with Wright firing wide after a great cross from Lee Neville was palmed out by the keeper Wilson. Nicky Platt was unlucky with a chance shortly after, Matthew Wolfenden putting a great cross that he poked just wide.

The best chance of the game came on the half hour mark when Wilson, in the home goal, totally miskicked a backpass which went straight up in the air. The ball was picked up by Mike Norton who passed to Wright. The winger put the ball wide of the far post when he probably had more time than he realised to pick his spot.

Thankfully, this didn’t seem to prove too costly. On 37 minutes another good cross by Wolfenden was flapped at by Wilson and the ball seemed to drop into the net via Norton’s head. However, it was actually the unfortunate Denton who put the ball over the line – gifting FC United a second own goal in four days.

Despite going a goal down, the hosts were definitely still in the match. Ashton had to be alert again just before half time when the ball was played across the box towards Davidson. The former Bolton Wanderers shot-stopper just managed to toe the ball away.

The second-half never really go going as a spectacle, with neither team finding their passes and the referee having to stop the game for little fouls all over the pitch. One of these free-kicks produced the equaliser for Ferriby as Bolder rose on 58 minutes to power a header into the FC United net.

The half continued in a stop start manner with only half chances being created by both sides, Ashton making a decent stop and Wright charging down a clearance but shooting at the keeper.

FC almost stole the game in the last minute when a ball over the top played in Wright but he drove the ball high and wide.

All in all, a draw was probably a fair result but means the FC United need a good performance at Buxton on Saturday to continue their play-off ambitions. United will also have another chance to make ground on third placed Ferriby with a return meeting at Gigg Lane still to come in just under two weeks.

Report by Steven Wood

First Posted ~ 14:31 Wed 16 Mar 2011
News ID ~ 3479
Last Updated ~ 02:52 Tue 16 Feb 2021