FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

FC United beaten at Guiseley

FC United beaten at Guiseley FC United travelled across the Pennines to face Guiseley AFC on Saturday but returned empty handed after a disappointing 3-0 defeat.

Due to injuries, caretaker-manager David Chadwick had to make a couple of changes to his side following the hard fought point gained at Chester in midweek wit Joel Senior, Harry Winter and Brodie Litchfield all stepping into the side.

The early exchanges were even, FC having the first sight of goal when a cross found Kurt Willoughby who headed wide. The next chance fell to the home side as good work from Lewis Walters found Rowan Liburd, but his deft header was just wide of Dave Carnell post.

On 29 minutes, the home side took the lead when a corner from the right found Will Hatfield unmarked on the edge of the box. He seemed to scuff his shot but it found its way through a ruck of players and somehow hit the back of the net despite protestations from Carnell that he had been blocked.

The goal was the catalyst for more home pressure and in particular Hatfield who followed up his goal by having an overhead shot fly just over the bar and a shot go across the face of goal and beyond on the far post.

In first half injury time, a ball from the back found Willoughby in behind the home defence but a great last ditch tackle prevented him going any further.

Any work Chadwick had to do at half time was in tatters within seconds of the restart as a poor backless from Steve O’Halloran played in Liburd. He rounded Carnell and rolled the ball goal wards, Billy Preistley did his best to prevent the ball crossing the line but it was to no avail. 2-0.

Just after the hour mark the lead was increased when the ball was played into Kingsley James who hooked ball back to Liburd who volleyed in.

The goal ended the game as a contest, the home side were happy to sit back and defend what they had. With five minutes to go, FC finally had a shot on target when Joel Logan tested Joe Green who spilled the ball to Willoughby who couldn’t quite gather the ball.

Overall, it was a difficult day for FC who probably would have hoped for a point given the last couple of performances.

Report by Steven Wood

Website man of the match - Sam Baird. A difficult day for the FC defence but Sam stayed calm and out in another mature performance.

First Posted ~ 23:11 Sun 16 Sep 2018
News ID ~ 8044
Last Updated ~ 17:00 Fri 19 Feb 2021