FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

FC United beat Glossop North End on penalties in Integro Cup clash

FC United beat Glossop North End 6-5 on penalties in the Integro League Cup first round fixture after fighting back from 2-0 at halftime to draw 2-2.

A brace by Porya Ahmadi had given the visitors to Broadhurst Park a commanding lead at the break. But Adam Dodd and Regan Linney got the Reds back on level terms soon after the restart and the game ended 2-2.

Some penalty heroics by goalkeeper Cameron Belford, who saved four spot-kicks, sent FC United through in the competition, which is for all teams in the Betvictor Northern Premier Divisions.

The Red simply didn’t turn up in the first half and a 2-0 lead at the break wasn’t undeserved for the visitors, who came out fired up, with a physical game plan and most importantly looking clinical in front of goal.

Porya Ahmadi netted both the goals for Glossop, showing great instincts to fire home both goals after eighteen minutes and just a minute before the break, but the decision of some of the visiting players to goad the fans on the terraces in the SMRE always had the potential to come back on them with another half of football left.

Knowing that if we wanted to stay in the competition and keep the good run of results going, Reno made a couple of changes at the break and brought Potts and Tunde on, with an instant impact, as the Reds looked like an attacking cohesive unit for the first time in the game.

Just 10 minutes into the second half, Dodd fired home and unleashed his Connor McGregor-esque goal celebration for the fourth time in three matches and suddenly it was the home team who had the momentum.

Sensing this change in momentum the men in red turned the screw, with relentless attacks, knowing it was just a matter of time until they got the equaliser. That goal came just seven minutes later as Regan Linney acrobatically turned the ball home at the far post.

Despite drawling level with more than 25 minutes left, the rest of the game was frustrating for the Reds as chances became more limited and some tactical tackling and time management by the away team meant the game would go to penalties.

In the end, both teams needed nine penalties to be separated, including a Jack Lenehan spot kick that was saved but crept over the line with an incredible back spin on the ball. But it was Belford’s time to shine as he stopped four penalties to take FC through to the next round.

Coincidentally, the two teams actually played out a 2-2 draw that ended in a 6-5 penalty win for the Reds in the Manchester Premier Cup in 2015.

FC now turn their attention to the FA Trophy trip to Runcorn on Saturday, with a spot in the first round proper at stake.

Website man of the match: Cameron Belford. Penalty hero once again, this time with four great stops during the shoot-out.

Report by Craig Phillips

First Posted ~ 11:40 Wed 20 Nov 2019
News ID ~ 8563
Last Updated ~ 23:45 Thu 4 Feb 2021