FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester Pitch In

FC United of Manchester Smaller Text Larger Text

10 man FC United beaten at Curzon Ashton

FC United’s hopes of survival took another blow as they went down 3-1 to near neighbours Curzon Ashton on Saturday afternoon, with Harry Winter being shown a red card in the second half.

With Guisley also losing it means the gap between FC and the Yorkshire side is still three points but FC are quickly running out of games to close that gap.

The afternoon had started well with Kurt Willoughby taking advantage of a defensive error and slotting home from just outside the six-yard box, but an afternoon that had begun so promising soon started to unravel.

With little over five minutes left of the first half some poor marking from FC from a corner allowed Sean Miller to head home and level the score.

FC looked like they had regained the lead just seconds later, following some good work from Jack Bannister on the left flank he moved inside and saw his curling effort leave the ‘keeper stranded but bounced off the post and out for a goal kick.

The signs were promising going into the second half, with FC finishing the first off well and showing the fight that would be needed for a pivotal second half. But just minutes into the second half the home team had the lead and it was again from poor marking from a corner. This time Jonathon Hunt was the benefactor, heading his side in front.

The early blow seemed to take the wind out of the sails for FC and they really struggled to get anything going in the second period. Despite throwing a number of attacking options on from the bench, the Reds couldn’t create anything of significance.

With just over 20 minutes left, Harry Winter was shown a red card for an altercation with Curzon’s Daniel Shaw. Despite both players raising their hands to each other, it was Winter who was sent off, where as Shaw was just given a booking for his part in the fracas.

As FC pushed a higher defensive line, looking to take the game into the opposition half, it left them vulnerable to the counter attack and it was such a counter that saw Curzon grab the third and with it any hopes of the Reds getting anything from the game. Miller took the ball on the half way line and went on a solo run, rounding Fisher and neatly putting the ball away to seal a miserable afternoon for FC.

The players and management will know that the performance simply wasn’t good enough and for a team fighting for their survival in the league you’d want to see a bit more passion on the pitch. That being said it was FC’s first defeat in five games and with a rearranged game at Broadhurst Park on Tuesday they have an immediate opportunity to bounce straight back.

Website man of the match: Chris Lynch – Was flat out on his feet by the end of the game, having given so much, showing the desire that’s going to be needed in the final games to pull off an amazing recovery.

Report by Craig Phillips

First Posted ~ 16:19 Sun 24 Mar 2019
News ID ~ 8319
Last Updated ~ 23:45 Thu 4 Feb 2021