FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Match Details      

3.00pm Sunday 4th November 2012

EvoStik League Premier Division

Gigg Lane, Gigg Lane, Bury, BL9 9HR

FC United of Manchester 4 - 1Eastwood Town
Norton 16, 28
Jones 20
Stott 42 (pen)
 Troke 47

Attendance: 1,692

FC United of Manchester
1 Jon Worsnop
2 Dean Stott
3 Jake Cottrell
4 Dave Birch
5 Adam Jones (capt)
6 Matthew Carr
7 Matthew Wolfenden
8 Nick Platt
9 Mike Norton
10 Greg Daniels
11 Lee Neville

15 Carlos Roca (for 8, 80 mins)
16 Tom Fisher (for 9, 82 mins)
17 Kyle Jacobs (for 5, 66 mins)
Eastwood Town
1 Rhys Watkinson
2 Jake Green
3 Chris Shaw (capt)
4 Gary Breach
5 Romaine Graham
6 Alex Troke
7 Joshua Raven
8 Danny Elliott
9 Greg Simmons
10 Ewan Clarke
11 Paolo Piliero

14 Travis Munn (for 4, 58 mins)
15 Vijay Salvim (for 11, 85 mins)
16 Petter Aaser (for 7, 46 mins)

Match Report

FC United made it two league wins on the run with a convincing 4-1 victory over Eastwood Town at Gigg Lane on Sunday afternoon.

A brace for Mike Norton, a Dean Stott Penalty and a powerful header from Adam Jones were enough to give United the three points and move them back up the table to ninth place with as many as five games in hand on some of the teams above them.

On a bitterly cold afternoon the Reds began the game quickly and looked to take the game to the visitors who shipped six at Ashton last week. A few changes in the team saw Lee Neville pushed up to the left wing, and the marauding left back relished the opportunity to be let off the leash proving himself to be a menace to the Eastwood defence all afternoon.

Just fifteen minutes in and United had the lead as a great cross from Neville on the left was met by the head of Mike Norton who placed his header past visiting ‘keeper Rhys Watkinson to put United a goal up.

Just five minutes later as stand in skipper Adam Jones powerfully headed home from a corner to make the score 2-0 and leave many of the frozen faithful thinking it was more a case of how many we could win by as United seemed to be in control.

The visitors didn’t help themselves with the third goal as Watkinson’s botched clearance only found Matthew Wolfenden who saw his effort stopped by Watkinson outside the box, before Norton got on to the ball and rolled home to put United 3-0 up inside of half an hour.

Just five minutes before half time and United were awarded a penalty after a clumsy challenge by a visiting defender, after seeing his effort saved at Ashton on Wednesday evening Dean Stott seemed determined to put that miss behind him as he fired the ball powerfully into the top corner to give United an unassailable four goal lead at the break.

With the visitors having conceding more than 5 goals in three of their last five games United may have been forgiven for thinking the second half may have been another flurry of goals but the visitors got on the scoreboard themselves as Alex Troke fired past Jon Worsnop to get the visitors a consolation goal.

The second half followed much the same routine as the first as United controlled the game and pushed forward looking to add to their goals with Neville on the left being the main threat as the visiting defence didn’t seem to know how to handle him.

Mike Norton could have had his hat trick on two separate occasions, firstly as a rebounded shot just went over Nortons head as he came rushing in on goal and then later when a ball across the goal face was just inches away from Norton’s outstretched leg at the far post.

United had several half chances on the afternoon as the likes of Cottrell and Birch fired in efforts that were either to high or wide or indeed in some cases both. But the best opportunity United had to extend the lead was when Neville tried a flick to control the ball and then fired over from the penalty spot with what would have been a spectacular goal.

A plus for United was the return of Carlos Roca who had been out for a few weeks, and Roca caused the visiting defence a few problems with his trademark jinky dribbling on the right for the last fifteen minutes, new signing Tom Fisher replaced Norton late on and looked confident on the ball in his brief time on the pitch.

So two wins in a week for United, who now travel to Ilkeston next Saturday looking to make it three from three before a run of three consecutive games against teams also in the top half of the league in Rushall Olympic, Marine and Chorley before the end of the month.

Website man of the match: Lee Neville – played on the left wing and looked the most dangerous player on the park all afternoon.

Previous MatchNext Match

Football Club United of Manchester,

Broadhurst Park, 310 Lightbowne Road, Moston, Manchester, M40 0FJ

FC United Office Opening Hours - Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm

FC United Office Email - office@fc-utd.co.uk

FC United Office Phone - 0161 769 2005

FC United Office Fax - 0161 769 2014

Free Text Message Service - 07786 200 353

The Living Wage Foundation
FC United A-Z
Site Index

127 Club Members
Academic Papers
Advanced News Search
Away Grounds
Away Tickets & Travel
Broadhurst Park
Club Board Chart
Club Manifesto
Club Structure
Code of Conduct
Complaints Procedure Contact FC United
Cookies Policy
Co-owners' Area
Co-owners' Forum
Development Fund
Disabled Access
Doing Things Differently
Election Policy
Equal Opportunities
Ex-FC Utd Players
FC Groundhoppers
FC United & Live TV
FC United Blog FC United Shop
FCUM Radio
First Visit
Friendly Criteria
Half Time Draw
Home Tickets
Info for Visiting Fans
IPS Rules
League Table Links
Man of the Match
Match Day Photos
Members' Forum
Moston Juniors FC
News Archive
News Search
Old Boys
Ops Board Chart
Org Charts
Pink Newsletter
Punk Football
Press Releases Records
Season Tickets
SLT Chart
Supporters' Groups
Text Service
The Pink
Travel Hub
Web Archive
Who Are We?
You Tube
Copyright © 2005-2017 FC United of Manchester (except fixtures, tables and images used by kind permission of their respective rights holders). All rights reserved.