FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Match Details    

3.00pm Monday 5th April 2010

The UniBond League Premier Division

Hurst Cross, Surrey Street, Ashton-under-lyne, OL6 8DY

Ashton United 2 - 2FC United of Manchester
O Neill 53
Morning 58
 Roca 10 (pen), 11

Attendance: 707

Ashton United
1 T Smith
2 A Frost
3 D Caldecott
4 N Prescott
5 I Kearney
6 C Robinson (capt)
7 M ONeill
8 D Weston
9 G Richards
10 A Morning
11 I Howard

14 I Bennett (for 4 56)
16 O Abadaki (for 10 75)
17 G Murphy (for 8 56)
FC United of Manchester
1 Sam Ashton
2 James Holden
3 Ludovic Quistin
4 Angelos Tsiaklis
5 Robert Nugent (capt)
6 Nick Swirad
7 Chris Ovington
8 Cedric Krou
9 Phil Marsh
10 Jerome Wright
11 Carlos Roca

15 Kyle Jacobs (for 6, 77 mins)
16 David Chadwick (for 5, 61 mins)
17 Simon Carden (for 8, 64 mins)

Match Report

FC United were held to a 2-2 draw at Ashton United on Easter Monday despite being 2-0 up after just 10 minutes due to a double from Carlos Roca.

Roca broke the deadlock from the penalty spot in the ninth minute following a foul on Ludovic Quistin and a minute later the United forward made it two.

The Reds were cruising and the lead could easily have been increased with Phil Marsh, Jerome Wright and Angelos Tsiaklis all going close. However, it really was a game of two halves and Ashton struck back in the second 45 through Matty O’Neill (53) and Adam Morning (58) to make it 2-2 and leave United ruing those missed chances.

The only change from the draw at Marine on Good Friday saw Rob Nugent replace skipper David Chadwick and as at Marine, FC started very brightly with all the opening exchanges in their host’s half of the field.

The first chance of the game came on six minutes, with a great spell of passing football playing in Quistin who was unlucky to see his shot tipped wide. Two minutes later, the Guadeloupe international was involved again as his run into the box was ended with a trip from an Ashton defender, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

With the Reds’ woeful record from the spot this season, no-one thought that a goal would have been forthcoming but thankfully Roca kept his cool to send the keeper the wrong way and put FC United one up.

The Reds only had to wait a minute to double the lead, when the dangerous Chris Ovington lifted the ball forward for Roca to latch onto and coolly chip the ball over Smith to make it 2-0.

The half progressed in the same way, with FC having most of the chances, Ovington having a shot blocked and Wright having a chance cleared off the line. In fact it was 18 minutes before Ashton threatened the United goal, with Sam Ashton having to be alert to block a snap shot from just inside the box.

FC continued to press with Wright having a couple of good shots blocked. Sam had to be alert as the half came to a close, making a great block from Morning but FC could feel annoyed that the lead at half time wasn’t more.

The second half started just as the first ended with FC in the ascendancy, Roca scooping a shot narrowly over and Tsiaklis having a long range shot well saved by Smith. Nick Swirad also came close to scoring but again the Ashton keeper was equal to him.

As the half wore on, the home side managed to get a foothold into the game and pulled a goal back on 53 minutes, when a shot by Gareth Richards was well saved by Ashton and with the FC defence slow to react, O’Neill followed up and tapped the ball into the net.

That sparked Ashton into action and Swirad had to be alert to keep out Morning and Ashton saved well from Richards. But the equaliser that was threatened came on 57 minutes, when Richards chipped Ashton delightfully from the edge of the box.

From that point on, the home side looked the most likely to score, with both Richards and Kearney guilty of bad misses when they should have done better.

It may be a cliché but this was indeed the classic game of two halves, with Ashton as dominant in the second half, as FC had been in the first and FC may feel happy coming away with a point in the end, from a game that they probably should have had won by half-time.

Report by Steven Wood.

Previous MatchNext Match

Football Club United of Manchester,

Broadhurst Park, 310 Lightbowne Road, Moston, Manchester, M40 0FJ

FC United Office Opening Hours - Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm

FC United Office Email - office@fc-utd.co.uk

FC United Office Phone - 0161 769 2005

FC United Office Fax - 0161 769 2014

Free Text Message Service - 07786 200 353

The Living Wage Foundation
FC United A-Z
Site Index

127 Club Members
Academic Papers
Advanced News Search
Away Grounds
Away Tickets & Travel
Broadhurst Park
Club Board Chart
Club Manifesto
Club Structure
Code of Conduct
Complaints Procedure Contact FC United
Cookies Policy
Co-owners' Area
Co-owners' Forum
Development Fund
Disabled Access
Doing Things Differently
Election Policy
Equal Opportunities
Ex-FC Utd Players
FC Groundhoppers
FC United & Live TV
FC United Blog FC United Shop
FCUM Radio
First Visit
Friendly Criteria
Half Time Draw
Home Tickets
Info for Visiting Fans
IPS Rules
League Table Links
Man of the Match
Match Day Photos
Members' Forum
Moston Juniors FC
News Archive
News Search
Old Boys
Ops Board Chart
Org Charts
Pink Newsletter
Punk Football
Press Releases Records
Season Tickets
SLT Chart
Supporters' Groups
Text Service
The Pink
Travel Hub
Web Archive
Who Are We?
You Tube
Copyright © 2005-2017 FC United of Manchester (except fixtures, tables and images used by kind permission of their respective rights holders). All rights reserved.