FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Match Details   

7.45pm Wednesday 23rd September 2009

The UniBond League Premier Division

New Manor Ground, Awsworth Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 8JF

Worksop Town 3 - 1FC United of Manchester
Bacon 26, 74
Tomlinson 61
 Tong 81

Attendance: 345

Worksop Town
FC United of Manchester
1 Sam Ashton
2 Adam Carden
3 Simon Garner
4 Danny Warrender Yellow Card
5 David Chadwick (capt)
6 Robert Nugent Red Card
7 Carlos Roca
8 Tunji Moses
9 Ben Deegan
10 Phil Marsh
11 Ben Morris

12 Danny Williams (for 11, 76 mins)
14 Jake Cottrell (for 10, 40 mins)
15 Adam Tong (for 3, 40 mins)

Match Report

Rob Nugent was sent off for two bookable offences as FC United slumped to a disappointing 3-1 defeat against lowly Worksop on Wednesday night in Ilkeston.

The game started slowly but the first chance fell to the Reds with captain David Chadwick having a header saved from a superb cross from Ben Morris. A minute later, the game turned, when Rob Nugent picked up his second yellow card for a second trip on a player he had got the wrong side of.

Worksop took the lead from the resultant free kick with a diving header by Daniel Bacon at the far post. The first half continued with United having most of the ball but with sloppy errors from players putting the team in trouble. Sam Ashton was called into action when he had to pluck a chip out of the air after a slip by Danny Warrender.

The second half started in a similar way to the first and it took 10 minutes for the first piece of action, with a run and shot from the hard working Ben Deegan that just flew wide.

On the hour mark, after a good spell of United pressure, Chaddy nearly got the Reds back on level terms with a header that was tipped round the post. From the corner, somehow the ball was played onto the bar, seemingly from a mix of a head of an attacker and the fingers of the keeper. From the rebound Worksop broke quickly and a mix up between Carden and Ashton gave Ben Tomlinson the chance to roll the ball into the empty net.

Despite this, United did continue to press for the goal to get back into the game, Carlos Roca having a shot wide and substitute Jake Cottrell stabbing the ball wide.

With having the extra man, Worksop were always capable of a breakaway and so it proved on 74 minutes when they broke down the left and the ball was fired home by Bacon from the edge of the box for his second of the night.

Tong did pull a goal back on 81 minutes and despite having the vast majority of the ball FC couldn’t pull themselves back into the game with a lack of penetration and final ball being a problem.

United must now pick themselves up for their trip to North Ferriby in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup on Saturday.

Report by Steven Wood
Previous MatchNext Match

Football Club United of Manchester,

Hope Mill, 113 Pollard Street, Ancoats, Manchester M4 7JA

FC United Office Email - office@fc-utd.co.uk

FC United Office Fax - 0161 273 7598

FC United Office Phone - 0161 273 8950

Free Text Message Service - 07786 200 353

The Living Wage Foundation
127 Club Members
Academic Papers
Advanced News Search
Away Grounds
Away Tickets & Travel
Club Manefesto
Code of Conduct
Complaints Procedure
Contact FC United
Co-owners' Area
Development Fund
Disabled Access
Doing Things Differently
Election Policy
Equal Opportunities
Ex-FC Utd Players
FC United & Live TV
FC United Blog
FC United Shop
FCUth Website
FCUM Radio
First Visit
Fixtures / Results
Friendly Criteria
Home Tickets
Info for Visiting Fans
IPS Rules
League Table
Man of the Match
Match Day Photos
Members' Forum
News Archive
News Search
Old Boys
Punk Football
Press Releases
Season Tickets
Stats / Records
Supporters' Groups
The Pink
Text Service
Web Archive
Who Are We?
You Tube
Copyright (c) 2005-2014 FC United of Manchester (except fixtures, tables and images used by kind permission of their respective rights holders). All rights reserved.