FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

Match Details      

3.00pm Saturday 4th October 2014

EvoStik League Premier Division

Bower Fold, Mottram Road, Stalybridge, SK15 2RT

FC United of Manchester 2 - 0Whitby Town
Welsh 10
Norton 36

Attendance: 1,971

FC United of Manchester
1 David Carnell
2 Liam Brownhill
3 Chris Lynch
4 Dean Stott (capt) Yellow Card
5 James Knowles
6 Luke Ashworth
7 Matthew Wolfenden
8 Joe Fox
9 Mike Norton
10 Jerome Wright
11 Andy Welsh

15 Matthew Walwyn (for 11, 79 mins)
16 Callum Byrne (for 8, 75 mins)
17 Andy Pearson (for 11, 84 mins)
Whitby Town
1 Shane Bland
2 Ibrahim Hassan
3 Mark Robinson (capt)
4 Lee Bullock
5 Richard Pell
6 Dave McTiernan
7 Ross Gardiner
8 Lee Mason
9 Matthew Waters
10 Steven Snaith
11 Liam Shephard

12 Craig Farrell (for 11, 73 mins)
14 Matthew Brown (for 7, 63 mins)
16 Dale Hopson (for 8, 81 mins)

Match Report

FC United climbed up to seventh in the Evo-Stik Premier Division table with a 2-0 victory over Whitby Town at Bower Fold on Saturday afternoon.

Winger Andy Welsh got his first goal for the club inside the opening 10 minutes and an own goal doubled the lead moments before the half time break.

After an FA Cup exit last weekend, United looked to go above their opponents with a home victory, facing Whitby Town in a return to league action.

Centre-back James Knowles returned from a month long injury and Karl Marginson opted for a change in formation, returning to the three-at-the-back tact for the first time since early September.

The opening to the encounter was a lively affair with both sides showing intent from the off. Following FC United clearing their lines from an early Whitby free-kick inside the centre circle, Matthew Wolfenden and Joe Fox, who was also returning from injury, looked to test Shane Bland in quick succession.

The Seasiders also looked to attack and at times kept possession well through the midfield, forcing the Reds to fight for the ball. Lee Mason displayed great control in the centre and set his side off on a foray forward, however the visitors couldn’t threaten Dave Carnell.

Ten minutes in and an excellent United move culminated in the opener. Jerome Wright picked up the ball and powered down the line before cutting inside and taking the visiting defender out of the game before pulling back to Welsh who sealed the deal, slotting past Bland to notch up his debut goal for the Reds.

Welsh was involved once more, this time laying the ball off to Mike Norton following a good interchange through the middle of the park. The striker then unleashed a strong effort which the keeper only parried: fortunately for Whitby, Bland smothered the ball before Norton could pounce.

United drove on through the rain which now poured down over Bower Fold, intermingled with the Autumn sunshine. The Reds were keeping the pressure on when an excellent crossfield ball found Liam Brownhill on the right who in turn won a corner. The ball was floated in and as Richard Pell tried to clear, he glanced the ball into his own net.

Hard work again from Norton in the second half almost paid off as eventually FC persistence resulted in a corner. Welsh played the ball over to the far post where Chris Lynch was well positioned and very nearly made it three if not for a headed clearance off the line.

In an almost replica move, Welsh’s corner again found Lynch whose header this time ricocheted off the underside of the bar as United continued to threaten.

The Reds’ changes all came within the space of ten minutes as Callum Byrne, Matthew Walwyn and Andy Pearson replaced Fox, Welsh and Lynch respectively; all three having contributed to a good United performance.

Walwyn certainly made an impact on the game in the later stages, first forcing a parried save from Bland before testing the keeper again from a well struck free-kick. This came shortly prior to Whitby winning a corner as the visitors looked for a way back in. Unfortunately for the Seasiders, Carnell’s punched clearance only served to put United back on the attack.

Norton won a free-kick level with the area which Brownhill played in. Walwyn rose at the far post and was unlucky to see his header roll across the face of goal.

FC United’s lead could have been greater, however a well deserved home victory will surely have instilled confidence in Marginson’s side ready for a Manchester Premier Cup tie at Radcliffe Borough on Tuesday night.

Website Man of the Match: Andy Welsh - worked hard all afternoon and was a key part of United’s attack, contributing the first goal.

Report by Victoria Fullen

Previous MatchNext Match

Football Club United of Manchester,

Broadhurst Park, 310 Lightbowne Road, Moston, Manchester, M40 0FJ

FC United Office Opening Hours - Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm

FC United Office Email - office@fc-utd.co.uk

FC United Office Phone - 0161 769 2005

FC United Office Fax - 0161 769 2014

Free Text Message Service - 07786 200 353

The Living Wage Foundation
FC United A-Z
Site Index

127 Club Members
Academic Papers
Advanced News Search
Away Grounds
Away Tickets & Travel
Broadhurst Park
Club Board Chart
Club Manifesto
Club Structure
Code of Conduct
Complaints Procedure Contact FC United
Cookies Policy
Co-owners' Area
Co-owners' Forum
Development Fund
Disabled Access
Doing Things Differently
Election Policy
Equal Opportunities
Ex-FC Utd Players
FC Groundhoppers
FC United & Live TV
FC United Blog FC United Shop
FCUM Radio
First Visit
Friendly Criteria
Half Time Draw
Home Tickets
Info for Visiting Fans
IPS Rules
League Table Links
Man of the Match
Match Day Photos
Members' Forum
Moston Juniors FC
News Archive
News Search
Old Boys
Ops Board Chart
Org Charts
Pink Newsletter
Punk Football
Press Releases Records
Season Tickets
SLT Chart
Supporters' Groups
Text Service
The Pink
Travel Hub
Web Archive
Who Are We?
You Tube
Copyright © 2005-2017 FC United of Manchester (except fixtures, tables and images used by kind permission of their respective rights holders). All rights reserved.